Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What cable router would be recommended for 3 client LAN to access VPN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbo19

MIS
Jan 2, 2002
US
I have a 3 client remote office that needs to connect to a VPN. Users usually connect to the VPN through a simple Windows VPN connection, however the Linksys cable/dsl router we had at first doesn't support multiple VPN connections. The VPN is running on a Cisco 2620 router. I am hoping someone can respond to this quickly because I am in need of an answer.

Please don't suggest the Linksys cable/dsl VPN router, that doesn't work either.

- Rob

Please be alittle more specific.

If you are using the router as a vpn server then the linksys has a problem with multiple connections. The netopia router will allow you to configure 6 vpn connections to the router. Another thing that you do is allow the vpn ports to pass through your router and authenticate on a vpn server. You can have as many connections as you configure the server to allow.

If this doesnot answer the question explain your layout thoroughly.

OK, thanks for responding quickly. I will be explain some more. To establish a VPN connection, our remote users have a Windows 98 dialup networking icon they use to connect. It asks for username, password, and points to the IP address of our Cisco 2620 Router. Once connected, they can then connect to our Citrix server to run some apps. These remote users have individual dialup accounts.

Now, I just setup a remote office in which the users need to share a cable connection. I had originally purchased the Linksys BEFSR41 router, and soon realized that although all 3 computers could browse the web, etc., only 1 computer at a time could establish a VPN connection. If one computer did this, and another user tried to connect, the first computer would lost the connection. Is there something I can configure on the Linksys router, besides the PPTP passthru and IPSec passthru?

I hope this was a little more descriptive.

Thanks,

Rob

Really?
I am using the Linksys BEFVP41 VPN router to make a LAN-LAN connection to one of our offices, but we are connecting to a Cisco PIX. I have heard that you can set up a cisco router for VPN connections.

You are still not clear if you're main office is where the cisco 2620 router is loacated and that is what is the vpn router then pptp passthrough and ipsec is not the issue on the linksys router. The cisco needs to have the listening port 1723 and GRE available and have the capabilities of authenticating multiple connections.

What the Linksys router requires is the capability to complete the connection GRE. The only issue with the client side connection is allowing the reurn tunnel GRE through NAT. NAt does not naturally allow GRE through. This is a new feature on the latest firmwares. The past solution was to map a wan ip to an internal Lan pc or server or create a wan pool.

The main question is are you able to have multiple connections on your cisco router. If yes then try to upgrade the firmware for the linksys I believe they are up to 1.45(?). You should not have any issues on connecting multiple sessions through a linksys router to an external vpn server the issue is connect behind a linksys router that is when there is a limitation.

Make sure you have the latest firmware on the linksys router. But since you are authenticating at the

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back