Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What broadband speed is enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

multiplex77

Programmer
Dec 25, 2001
SG
Hi,

I'm trying to decide on a DSL plan. Currently I have a cheap ADSL plan which gives "up to" 512Kbps downstream (which I timed to be about 100Kbps only, at one instance) and 256Kbps upsteam, with a dynamic IP address.

I am considering switching to a more expensive SDSL plan, which "guarantees" 128Kbps upstream and downstream with a static IP. Main reason is I want to host a low-traffic website and need a static IP for that. But I'm worried that the Internet access speed in my office will drop to an unacceptable level when I use this "slower" plan. I have 30 users in my office (only about 10 are on the Net most of the time).

So my questions are:

1. Is 128Kbps for 30 staff and 100 hits a day (for the website) sufficient for normal office work? Or is it grossly insufficient?

2. Is it true that SDSL can guarantee a connection speed or is the provider just making empty claims?

Hope to hear from someone with a similar experience. Thanks so much!

I would recommend SDSL, however, I would also recommend you use a highrer bandwidth rather than 128 for 30 people. 128 is no more than two 64k lines. So just imagine 30 people working on 2 phone lines at the same time.. :) I would recommend 320K (depending on what everyone uses the connection for) and at minimal 208. Naturally the higher the number the faster it will be, but you have to decide whether there will be many downloads/uploads.

The download and uploads are the only real concern. If there is just surfing then the sdsl will be great. As epm said though if you get(and you will) several downloads at once they will choke each other. If cost is an issue (and it always is) Then just notify your People of this so if at any time someone or ones is downloading that the others can wait. You may have some conflicts sometimes but with all informed at least they wont blame you for your recomendations. Let everything that have breath praise the Lord.

"2. Is it true that SDSL can guarantee a connection speed or is the provider just making empty claims?"

ADSL = Assymetric DSL (different upload/download speed)
SDSL = Symetric DSL (same upload/download speed)

Both uploads and downloads are contended...
Typical contention 20:1 - your ADSL 512Kbps could (theoretically) drop to 25.6Kbps!
Of course, it's unusual for all users on the shared node to be using all their bandwidth at the same time...but...

To be GUARANTEEING 128 Kbps, your ISP has to be offering an uncontended service.
<marc>[ul]help us help![li]please provide feedback on what works / doesn't[/li][li]not sure where to start? click here: faq581-3339[/li][/sup][/ul][/sup]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back