Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What Backup Software would you recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixiepoet

Technical User
Jul 25, 2002
US
Hello all!

Our company has a NetWare 6 server on a Dell PowerEdge 1400SC, with a Travan 20 GB (TR-5) tape drive. We have 10 PC's in the office. What Backup software would you recommend?

We currently have Backup Exec and have been running into too many problems.

Thanks!

I've used both Backup Exec and ARCserve. Both can work, both can be problematic, but I prefer BE at this point. What version are you running? And what problems are you having?

Thank you for your response!

We are using Backup Exec 9 and running into all sorts of problems. I get this error message in the morning after a backup job:

BESRVR: TaperAlert!
BESRVR - WARNING: The tape drive is having problems reading data. No data has been lost, but there has been a reduction in the performance of the tape.
BESRVR - CRITICAL: Your data is at risk:
1. Copy any data you require from this tape
2. Do not use this tape again
3. Restart the operation with a different tape

I have installed the patch to update it to Build 4172.2. I have also installed the patch to update the driver set dated 11/19/02.

I have tried to do a cleaning of the drive by putting in the dry-process cleaning tape but all the options for cleaning have been grayed out.

What do you think is wrong?

I would say that error does not seem to be software, but hardware related. Travan drives are cheap, but for a reason. They are unreliable compared to other formats.

You have a decent entry level server. Good for your network size. I would say regardless of software, that server should have at least a SCSI DAT tape drive connected to it. I bet that investing in a new drive fixes your problem. (And will give you faster and more reliable backups)

Boosted,

You spoke well, thanks for your input.

I was wondering which Storage Device YOU would use?

Thanks!
PixiePoet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back