Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What are your recommendations for a Blackhole DNS server?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 9, 2003
NZ
Greetings all,

I have been looking into setting up a blackhole DNS zone for my network. We have been getting hit by spam quite a bit lately and the powers that be want me to put an end to it. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good real time server for this purpose. There are quite a few out there.

Thanks,
Mark

Mark,
I'm wondering about this too. I've recently got software that can tie into a blackhole list - but I'm reluctant to do so until I can find the most stringent one (i.e. least likely to have false positives or overkill on the blocked subnets).
Can anyone suggest one?
-Steve

Well Steve, I don't know yet.... What software did you find to tie in to the DNS servers? maybe we can collaborate on a solution :)

Mark

Symantec MailSecurity v4.0 and GFI MailSecurity v8 are the two I've seen so far that can tie into blackhole lists.
-Steve

I was just thinking this morning about a symantec solution to this. I will look into the software and then have a closer look at the recommendations for which servers to choose. I'll post my oppinion (whatever it's worth) soon. Give me a few days to reply to this.... it is one of the projects I have on the table.

Regards,
Mark

Thanks for the assistance.

I'm using ORF, it's good and cheap only $100.
You can use OSIRU, Spamcop and njabl for RBL. The others i found to strict.
It doesn't save the rejected email. It's OK, I don't want wasting my time to check junk folder. The sender can call you if their email is block and put their email into whitelist...Done.

I have also found one but have not istalled it. GFI MailEssentials at We are looking for one that also can build a record of what address it was sent to before just thowing it in a junk folder.

With ORF you can see the log file, but the sender must re-send the e-mail again. With more than hundred junk e-mail per day, do you want to check the blocked email?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back