Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What are you using your Rs6000 For?

Status
Not open for further replies.

franksoprano

Technical User
Apr 13, 2002
US
This is just a curiosity question, nothing extremely technical... I was just wondering what everyone out there is using their RS6000's for...

:)

It is one one wonderful RISC based server with excellent OS on it

AIXBUFF

it is because I hate to see the BLUE SCREENS and the KERNEL PANIC error messages...

JSiva Om Maha Ganapathiye Namaga!

We use it as a mini-computer (many "dumb" terminals and printers connected to serial ports) that runs an in-house written and supported set of business apps. It allows me to have a much smaller support staff and we can be more responsive to changing business requirements than a network of PC systems running Windows. We could probably run on any "Unix" platform, but the RS/6000 has been the most stable box I've ever used!

Well, ours are very useful for testing out problems that tek-tips members post. We've trashed quite a few that way...

On a more serious note, we use them as db2 gateways, sales ordering / despatch, stock analysis....and online grocery shopping. Lots of WebSphere, DB2, Business Objects, PeopleSoft, Telelogic, and a few others no-one will have heard of.

We like to take RISCS.

FileNet, DB2 UDB EE & EEE servers, Oracle servers, Mercator, DB2 gateways, DirectTalk voice response units, Date Warehousing, WebSphere and web servers (intranet and extranet). Many others too numerous to name, but we have about 90 nodes as well as a S7A & S80 (soon a second S80) and a 1660 cluster with H80s and a p670.

Wow quite impressive!! Thanks to all that responded to my curiosity question!! :)

we're using it to power-up our online nation-wide automated teller machines (ATMs).

We have an F80 RS6000 which we run our core ERP/MRP system. It hosts over a hundred users on AIX, UniVerse and System Builder. We use an E30 RS6000 to develop code for the F80. I can't remember the last time we had to reboot it. I'll have to ask my Grandfather :)

We have 234 AIX machines, 126 in "live" state, no SP just "regular" ones. We run Oracle, Informix, Sybase, SAP R3, HOLOS, Vantive, LDAP, TSM(ADSM), WebSphere, PeopleSoft SomethingOrOther, Apache, plus many others I forget about. We use this, along with some AS/400, 1000+ WinNT/2k, and one mainframe to run a global enterprise which is listed in the Dow 30.

It's funny how little I know about this sort of thing. =) IBM Certified -- AIX 4.3 Obfuscation

i use mine to mainly for storage...

I think we are supposed to be using it for DNS, Sendmail, and Oracle....

franksoprano: Your question was really nice. I read the answers with high interest.

We are just starting with pSeries and plan to run Oracle and BEA-appplication-server.

Now I have to ask the community: nobody listed the BEA-appserver. Why?

Does websphere a better job on pSeries? Is BEA too expensive?

bye
Rudi

Development/Product system for a Medical Application. We picked it because of the (almost) open architecture (we need several slots for PCI cards ...) and the journaled filesystem.

I am using my rs/6000 hardware to create a true ZERO emission technology for the future for the benefit of our kids and those to come after. It is absolutely fantastic
for my use. If you wan't to see some of this, go to automorrow.com and look at the "Mag One". Also, catch the link to Design News magazine to Designers Corner and scroll doen the page to the "Hydristor" (hydraulic+transistor).
enjoy the read... I am going to make electricity from the latent Solar heat in the air, day AND night, winter or summer, rain or snow, with no fuel required, and NO emissions. Perpetual motion you say? Not so...consider Niagra Falls making electricity from the waterfall drop
fed by the Sun evaporating water, making it run "uphill" against gravity by forming clouds and rain which falls on the hills and fills the Great lakes. Is that perpetual motion? NO. I am going to package this in homes, buildings, and solar cars.

We use WebSphere and WebSeal because it is an IBM product. The Apache server is just to hold the team's technical documentation and is sort of unofficial, but since Apache now comes along with AIX from what I hear it is probably quasi-legal. I don't know what BEA is. IBM Certified -- AIX 4.3 Obfuscation

I don't know what the cost of BEA is, however, WebSphere is priced on each processor, and I believe the cost is, or last I knew, $10,000 per processor.

The functionality of WebSphere and BEA are probably close and it is most likely just preference on which app server to use.

And for another of the above responses, the IBM HTTP Server uses the Apache engine and the IBM HTTP Server is supported by IBM, however, the Apache Web Server is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back