Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What are you pros using to capture screen shots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

doodah

MIS
Apr 1, 1999
US
I need a software tool that will allow me to capture screen shots.  I will be going to press with some, so I need a product that will allow me to have at least a resolution of 300 dpi.  I have to have a product that will work in MS Word, Quark and Photoshop.  I'm on a PC.

I'm not sure how Jasc Paint Shop Pro handles resolution issues--they seem very shaky on the issue compared to Adobe--but that's all I've ever used for screen captures... best of luck. <p>Liam Morley<br><a href=mailto:lmorley@wpi.edu>lmorley@wpi.edu</a><br><a href=] :: imotic :: website :: [</a><br>"light the deep, and bring silence to the world.<br>
light the world, and bring depth to the silence."

Like your first response - I'm not sure about the resolution issue - but I have been using Paint Shop Pro for years.&nbsp;&nbsp;It will capture ANY Windows based program and import it into Paint Shop Pro; this includes anything on the internet.&nbsp;&nbsp;You can also adjust to capture any portion of the screen if you wish, which is the option I use.<br>I know there are some specialty programs just for screen capture - but I can't image them working any better than Paint Shop Pro - and you get a great image-editing program along with it !

I prefer using SUPER CLIP<br>It is free<br>& it can capture pull down menu in photoshop

I think it is important to remember that your screen resolution is only 72 dpi anyway, so its not possible to to a screen capture any higher (I don't think)<br>My answer would be to set your screen res to something like 1024 x 768 to give you good quality, do a screen shot, go to Photoshop and adjust it to a 300 d.p.i. file there.<br><br>Not sure really, just a suggestion.<br><br>Scottos

Photoshop has a screen capture buit in. Well, sort of......<br><br>Hit the PrintScrn button, open a new image, paste. There is your screen capture. To capture the active window use Alt PrintScrn, open new image, paste.<br><br>Capturing from the screen is only going to get you a fairly low res image no matter how it is done. <br><br>We are having growing pains in the electronic imaging area of this industry. When technology gets to the point that screen resolution and print resolution are the same, and we have the bandwidth to support it, then we won't be having these problems. We'll just have to worry about people stealing our images. &lt;chuckle&gt;

Unfortunately, yes, it IS imposible to get a screen shot higher than 72dpi. The print screen function will work, but it's not a Photoshop funtion as far as I know, it's a windows one. Here is the method I use for screen grabs to print .. hope it helps.

Step 1: Crank up your screen resolution as far as it will go ... the higher the better ... say for example 1280x1024. The thing to rememeber here is that dpi (dots per inch) really has no bearing on screen graphics at all. Now use Print Screen and paste the result into a new photoshop doocument.

Step 2: Check the image size in Photoshop .. at 1280x1024 the PHYSICAL size of the image is 45.16cm x 36.12cm .. unless you are printing an A3 poster of your screenshot, this is MORE than enough size to support a print.

Step 3: The Math. Say, for example, you are needing to do a 16cm x 12cm print of your screenshot at 300dpi .. to work out the image at this size is now pretty simple. Your screenshot is approximately 2.8 times bigger than your target at this point (these figures change depending on your source and target resolution obviously) which means that if you take the physical size of the image down to 16 x 12 you can take the resolution of the image UP by 2.8 times ... therefor going from 72dpi to 202dpi WITHOUT ANY REOLUTION LOSS. This is not perfect, but the scale from 200dpi to 300dpi is a lot less than 72dpi to 300dpi. In other words, your printed result may still be slightly &quot;fluffy&quot; but you can usually get away with it. The smaller your target, printed image ... the better the result.

Wow, I wrote a novel :) I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back