Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What are the leading web technologies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdiTek

Programmer
Mar 20, 2003
US
Many of us here have been doing web development for quite a while but I routinely find myself becoming comfortable with my current design methods based on my place of employment.
We all would do well to stay up on the cutting edge of web technology.
I am curious as to what the rest of you believe is the current leading technologies for web development.

My shop uses java, javascript, asp, dhtml and Flash as our primary technologies. I feel like something is missing. Need more of a challenge.

Hi,

Your next step is to go with more server side technologies, PHP, PERL, ColdFusion, and Databasing with MySQL, MSSQL, etc

Hope this helps!

NATE

mainframe.gif

Got a question? Search G O O G L E for links to the fastest answers: www.google.com

sounds like you are doing fine here

you have your server side script ASP -- your competition PHP, Coldfusion, JSP and PERL

if you use asp im assuming you use databases

dont see much mention of CSS but forward thinking for websites is to keep content and layout seperate -- you have your webpages which hold content and a style sheet which dictates layout and look.

<Signature>
Sometimes the Answer You Are LOOKING for can be FOUND BY SEARCHING THE FAQ'S @&%$*#!!!
</Signature>

Thanks for your help.
We do have some server-side technology in place with asp. Is PHP, PERL, JSP, etc. more competative or versatile?
As of right now we not using much CSS but need to incorporate more.

I agree with the other's comments but am only posting because no one specifically stated ASP.net, the .net being the important addon there, as in .aspx.

Of course it is not open source like PHP, which could launch an entire open source vs. non open source discussion here. :eek:)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am woman, watch me code.

Wiredwoman...you raise an interesting question.
Is ASP.Net proprietary to Microsoft or will it work on any OS?
What about an open source language, aren't they intended to be platform independent?
Is one language more marketable than another?
What advantages does one have over another?

I would also recommend XML and XSL (and XPath), which are embraced by all camps: Microsoft, Sun, OpenSource, etc. JDOM or Dom4J in Java will enable you to generate and/or manipulate XML in Java, and those skills port nicely to other platforms. SAX-style parsing of incoming XML to populate objects is nice to know too. Most server-side languages have an implementation of this. DOM in JavaScript is also a powerful (but underused) tool that is almost universally supported by modern browsers. CSS/XHTML fits in nicely with this, since XHTML is really XML, and CSS, by separating structure from style, allows programmers and designers not to hassle each other.

News and views of some obscure guy

CSS/XHTML are probably the most important, as XHTML is being hailed as the next 'standard' (check out W3C.com) andif you are not coding to the standards it is quite likely that some of your sites could become outmoded with future browsers, resulting in some unhappy clients.

When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

I've been seeing more and more JSP pages lately. Seems like this is starting to take off.

Steve

And if you really want to put yourself out there start doing WML (Wireless Markup Language) and cater to those with web enabled cell phones, pda's etc.

NATE

mainframe.gif

Got a question? Search G O O G L E for links to the fastest answers: www.google.com

Wow! There's so much stuff to learn. I suppose this will keep me busy and out of trouble for quite a while.
It sounds like the options for all of us are pretty much limitless.

Thank you everyone for your input. This really helps a lot.

Wish you all a Wonderful Holiday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back