Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What are the current fledgling technologies.... 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

calahans

Programmer
Jun 14, 1999
IE
I'm wondering what people think are the next wave of technologies and who will be the players. I'm talking about the advent of the PC and IBM, the Windows Desktop and Microsoft, RDBMS and Oracle... Some of these companies came from nowhere to dominate the market - who are the next??<br><br>An example area may be ASP (Application Service Providers) - personally I don't think this babys gonna fly. <br><br>What do you think?<br> <p>Cal<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>

I think Nevmega's on to something with the channels approach. However, I think any sufficiently wide pipe will escalate it. He's also right in that entertainment is the most universal common denominator of all netizens. On-line amusements archives (books, TVs, movies) will do well, but look to the big media giants (Time-Warner, Turner, etc.) perhaps along with one or two new guys from left field who make deals with the big guys and feature new art to lead the way. Why? Content. Who owns all the existing stuff?

Useless trivia: 'Duzy' refers back to Deusenbergs, a very large automobile from the first half of the 1900's (1920? 1930?). From that, an item or idea of great import was referred to as a 'Deusie' ( Deusy?).

It is all going to a smaller comprehensive wireless pocket device. I am taken back to an album by the Dead Kennedy's (80's punk rock group) &quot;Give my convenience or give me death&quot;. The restriction of being physically connected to one location by a wire or power cord will be the next step over the next couple of years. Our homes and offices will have a main computer (server) that all devices will syncronize from and we will be able to access them via wireless web. I dont know- it seems logical to me, am I crazy?

and I beleive (fear) that a chunk of the IT professionals will be choked out. there will be a need as the times aren't so rosey, get the IT department costs DOWN! and a nifty program that costs the salary of one year for one IT staffer is going to be worth it!

Blake@orhp.com

Light Emmiting Polymer (LEP).
Say goodbye to those vacume-tube monitors and, more significantly, lightbulbs. Flat screen with exceptional picture quality(unlike the fuzzy plasmas et.al.), 180 degree viewing angle and runs on 5v DC. A major leap for the graphics and advertising folks. [sig][/sig]

Anyone interested might want to check out infoworlds new set of articles. Reviews of what they think will revolutionize the computing industry and when. You can find it at

At least I found it rather interesting. [sig]<p>Crystal<br><a href=mailto:crystals@genesis.sk.ca>crystals@genesis.sk.ca</a><br><a href= > </a><br>--------------------------------------------------<br>
Experience is one thing you can't get for nothing.<br>
-Oscar Wilde<br>
[/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back