Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What are the benefits of upgrades from R 3.0 to 6.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnmart0000

IS-IT--Management
Jun 18, 2010
US
I am trying to convince management to budget approve spending for upgrades of all old BCM50s. We have over 60 units still on R 3.0.

Can anyone tell me the difference or the benefits of upgrading to the latest version of 6.0? I need specifics here in order to get it approved.

Thanks,
J

are you interested in personal call manager and unified messaging?

Actually, I am interested in any additional features or advantages that an upgrade would offer. Thank you for replying.

J

if you are running windows 7 you cannot use either of these features with 3.0

you would need 6.0 to use them

Thanks PhoneGuy... Our Telecom team of analysts are all using XP pro, so I think we are safe for the short term, but this is good to know if we should plan on running Win 7 OS. That being said. We are trying to get approval to upgrade all of the older BCM50 software from 3.0 to 6.0, but need a little documentation in order to convince manangement. What would you say would be the advantage of using 6.0 as opposed to 3.0 (cost, features, expandability, etc)?

Thank you,
J

I am having a similar issue deciding on going from a BCM400 and upgrading to the bcm450.

Simply put it in this way.
If you upgrade the system to Release 6, you can still expand your system (license, card, etc) until 2015. Avaya will still provide support until 2018.

If you keep the system as is (at least BCM400, don't know it apply to BCM50 release 3), you will be hard (if not impossible) to expand the system (especially license wide), and you will not expect to get any patches or SU.

Upgrading can buy you more time to use the Avaya supported BCM system (6 more years)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back