Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

what are symptoms of a PBX that got hit by power surge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eibyer

Technical User
Aug 30, 2011
US
We just got service back 4 days earlier. A bad storm went through last Saturday and now all of a sudden we are getting a recording "All circuits are busy" on inbound calls and a fast tone on outbound calls. It's almost the same characteristic as when a PBX is not plugged in to the router.

XO tech said he can see the call hit our router but it's not going anywhere and getting a message "resource not found".

A few questions to start the ball rolling....

What type of Merlin system is being used?
Does the phone system's error log indicate a problem?
If present, have you tried to restore the PBX programming off of the PCMCIA card (assuming that the stored config is the most recent)?

I [love2] "FEATURE 00

I knew I forgot a detail there somewhere. It's an older Merlin Magix. I can't get to the system because I don't have the cable to connect to it. I used to dial in and transfer myself to the extension but since the phone is dead, I'm SOL.

Hmm....

Does the system have any power @ all?

Another trip back to the customer's location to do some local troubleshooting might be best at this point. Bringing some spares along just in case would well be worth it. [smile]

I [love2] "FEATURE 00

I'm actually the customer :) Just a nosy one. I've placed a call to the vendor and he is not due until later. XO is also supposedly sending a tech to verify that it is not their problem.

The system is powered, calling from extension to extension is working. Nothing outgoing or incoming though. The status light is green which means there's a connection from the PBX to the XO router.

That's about the extent of my troubleshooting skill as far as phones are concerned though.

If ext to ext is working, and you have an analog ext available (ie: a fax/modem) you could connect by dialing *10 locally with SPM and connect just as if you were calling from outside and transfering.

Hmm, phonesrus, I have a fax/modem line but is separate from our PBX. Interesting suggestion... I'm going to have to think about this and see if I can pull it off. Now if you have a tip on how I can do this faster without me racking my brain, please feel free :)

XO tech just left and confirmed that they can make/receive calls when directly hooked up to their router. I'm going to have to find out how to connect to the PBX and see if I can restore the backup.

I think what phonesrus was telling you to do is just plug in to any port on an analog card and dial*10 from your SPM. I did it for years with 1 customer because I had lost my SPM Connector and you can always find a line coprd onsite.

Gotcha... grrr dang netbook doesn't have a modem! I will check if I can get close enough to one of the analog lines.

I think XO is intentionally messing with us. When the vendor came, we called the tech that was working on our ticket the night before. Vendor told the tech to check the protocol and sure enough, it wasn't set to what our old Magix can work with. After changing and rebooting the router, we're back in business. The one thing I don't understand why the protocol change without any instruction from us.

I have a 1 or 2 word explanation.

XO (Is it 1 or 2 words?)

Or, their router/niu goes back to default after a Power Surge.

(I hope that's not the rule, but that what it sounds like with your problem.)

-merlinmansblog.blogspot.com

Or they forgot to save the working configuration, and this has been the 1st power outage that exceeded the battery backup's capacity since it was installed.

I'm looking into putting the Magix and the XO router on a UPS. Our cabinet has 2 491D1 power supply + the XO cisco router. Would this Cyberpower CP825LCD UPS - 825VA/450W be sufficient?

I tried to find the power consumption of the 491D1 but no luck there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back