Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What are Pros and Cons of going to 3900 sets? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TelTech11

Technical User
Mar 6, 2006
US
We are currently still using 2616s and VOIP phones. With the end of life on 2616s we would like to move to the next stage of Nortel phones.
Our options being VOIP or M3900 sets. What kind of issues have people gone users gone through by migrating to 3900 sets?
Are there really alot of ongoing issues with 3900 sets?
Do add on modules present any issues?
Do you have any issues in a Contact Center Environment?
What kind of issues are there with button labels disapearing like after an INI or just unplugging the phone?

Would it be better just to jump right to VOIP sets?

The issues lean more towards 2616s as your proccessors progress, rather than the other way. voip as you know are not relatively cheap 39xx are kinda old, or at least not new, so they are not killer expensive. No keycaps is a beautiful thing.

Mato' Was'aka

Here is my list of "cons" for 3904 sets (specifically 3904)

Only 6 visible lines - must hit shift to see other lines.

Somewhat light-weight feeling. Sometimes they get pulled around by the cord.

Some users take a while to get used to feature buttons being "soft" or "context sensitive". There's nothing like a transfer key that's always in the same place.

Depending on the version of the set, Hold and Rls are backwards in position and color from the 2616. People do a lot of hanging up on each other.

My list of Pro's are: Great with headsets, better speakerphone, nice accessory modules, and the obvious lack of paper labels.

GHTROUT.com | FAQs | Recent Replies

I would continue with IP but if money's an object then 3904 and 3905 are the way to go. I manage several large Call Centers and number of key's are rairly an issue.

It's a no-brainer!!!

Remember that with IP phones your network has to be up to snuff to handle VoIP. This may not be an issue but it could cause you to spend more money to upgrade the data network in order to use IP phones, Especially if you want to use POE and I would recommend this. You also will need to provide backup power in the IDF closets where the POE switches are located or the phones will go down.

Signature===========================================
Artificial Intelligence Is No Match for Natural Stupidity.

The latest survey shows that 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.

Red meat is not bad for you, it is the green fuzzy meat that is bad.

The only advise I have is 3904/3902's are not ideal for Conferences their acoustics, being digital, you get the clipping in and out if shuffling papers, background noice in the room, for this I'd stick to Analogue 'Polycom'

The only other issue I have is the base units are not a great design if changing or swapping phones out, sometimes you end up snapping clips/hooks....You can reverse them aswell if using for entrance phone (wall mounted) thats another head scratcher

Cheers!!

I think the jump to 3900 phones is worth it just because of the manhours you will save on labelling the buttons!!!!!!!

Arent you tired of the little fold up papers already? lol

JohnThePhoneGuy

"If I can't fix it, it's not broke!

the fact that i can software change and not have to send someone to change a label.. priceless

we use 3904's as the only digital sets deployed new.. we still have thousands of 2000 series but the number is dropping

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

I would go with 3904's. We have 4 models including the 3905 for call centers and that was a lot to keep in inventory. So now we only order the 04's. We even replaced the ACD 3905 with 3904's. We solved the majority of the base problems by NOT routing the mounting cord through the bottom, but allow it to just hang loose. This also allows us to unplug/plug the set for trouble shooting.

SLIM1,
Have you tried the Full Duplex mod with the set? That should cut out all of you clipping that you were talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back