Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What are Front Page Server Extensions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsteph

Technical User
Oct 24, 2002
US
In my IIS server, I keep getting errors about front page server extensions (to numerous and confusing to mention all of them). I'm asking this question here because it seems the right place. I do not use Front Page, I develop web pages with MS Visual Interdev, but I get these server extensions are out of date, etc, etc, errors.

What are they, and why, if I've never even owned Front Page, does IIS care if I have them or not?
--Jim

Server extensions is software that is integrated with IIS. When someone designs a page with MS FrontPage, the server extensions allow that person to use more advanced features such as submit a form. So the person can create a form without knowing how to use form post or action or sendmail. The server extensions takes care of that for them.

It would be best to download and install the latest server extension from Microsoft, not because you use them, but because of security issues.

Hope this helps.

When someone designs a page with MS FrontPage
But I don't even have front-page loaded, and I'll never ever use that.

I read what you said about security issues, but if there are serious security issues, why would't MS just integrate those 'extensions' as part of IIS itself and not make it a confusing option that appears to be specific only to a separate product?

I guess I look at it with this analogy:
Ford sells you a new Mustang. Then they say, "There is a serious engine problem where it can easily catch on fire and blow up the gas tank and all occupants will burn to a horrible screaming death. In order to prevent this, we recommend ordering the optional DVD player, even if you never plan on watching DVD's while driving."

Am I missing something, or is this analogy (granted hyperbolic) more or less on target?
--Jim

Microsoft Visual Interdev uses FrontPage Server Extensions.

Search Google for "visual interdev uses frontpage server extensions".... you will see plenty of points in the right direction.

Lillabeth,
Thanks, I looked some of those up. I have a much clearer picture of what's going on with those extensions now.

I think the point of confusion (for me, anyway) was the naming of them 'Front Page' server extensions, since it appears they have little to do with Front Page anymore (if that programe even still exists?} It seems that they came about as a way to make administering and authoring easier for users of Front Page, but then grew to be more universal.
--Jim

Jim,

Yep, that is exactly what happened.

The product FrontPage does still exist. It has changed (improved) greatly since the early versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back