Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What appen if I stop inetd ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoby

Technical User
Mar 5, 2001
FR
I would like to know what happen if I stop the inetd deamon in a server. Does it disconnect the users that are connected to the server ? If so what is the possibility to restart this deamon without to stop it ?

Thanks for your help.

Zoby

You will be stopping all TCP/IP and internet services on your server if you kill inetd. It will throw users out depending on how they connect to this server. For e.g. if they are connected through telnet. Yes.

ar.

Thanks a lot for your lights.

Zoby

Actually, I don't think it would throw out users who are already connected -- but no new users would be able to login, no mail would be received - no new TCP stuff at all. Inetd controls a lot of stuff.

The system would sort of shudder to a halt <smile>, not something you want to do. Mike
michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com
Email welcome if you're in a hurry or something -- but post in tek-tips as well please, and I will post my reply here as well.

If you are trying to force inetd to re-read its
configuration file (inetd.conf) because you are
adding a new server or making any modification
to that file you want to be active, you don't
need to stop the daemon (and restart it), you can
simply send it a SIGHUP signal with: kill -HUP pid
(being pid the proc id of the daemon).

regards

Jose Manuel Blanco
MVP BrainBench for Unix admin.

That's what I want to do (to force inetd to read the changes in inetd.conf), but does this tip (the SIGHUP signal) disconnect all the users ?

Thanks a lot for your help !
Best regards
Zoby

No, it doesn't disconnect any user, but sometimes
it's not effective, I mean, sometimes the changes
seems not be active after the re-reading of
the conf file (and I don't know the reason).
Anyway such case is rare.

regards Jose M. Blanco
MVP BrainBench for Unix admin.

Thanks a lot for your responses. It's a big help

If this is a Solaris box, the cleanest way to cycle inetd is the following:

/etc/inti.d/inetsvc start
/etc/init.d/inetsvc stop

This will, of course, re-read your inetd.conf file. I have done this MULTIPLE times when setting up network monitoring agengs, and never affected any users. In fact, I was rsh'd into the server as well, and my connection was persistent.

--Avardan

Hi Star,

The only refresh command I can find is a systems call rather than a command and has to do the with the curses package; could you explain a bit more? Mike
Email welcome if you're in a hurry or something -- but post in tek-tips as well please, and I will post my reply here as well.

Hi Mike.
The refresh-command is an native AiX cmd.
So thats Y. :)

/DG

Ok -- I see it, thx DG Mike

Hi

users already connected will not terminated. if that was the case when we stop and start inetd for re-reading the configuration /etc/inetd.conf( kill -HUP pid) all the tcp services could have been stopped. but that is not so.
hope this helps

Roy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back