Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What and Where is the latest Borland Developer C++ ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClaudeWSmith

Programmer
Aug 24, 2009
First:

I have been using Borland C++Builder ver 5.0 for a long time.

Is there any reason to upgrade to another version?

So far, I have not had anything that I could not find a way to program in ver 5.0.

But, I am just wondering your collective opinions.

Second:

Where would I find it? What version should I be looking for?

Claude

With the newer version it is possible to write .Net applications. If you do not write .Net applications, I do not think there is a reason to upgrade. However for writing and using dll, it is a lot easier to use or write them with C++ 2006.

Thanks -

I have never written a dll, I have some common code that I use in every application, but, making a dll makes a lot of sense.

I would need instruction.

Are there good examples ?

Claude

Borland spun off Codegear which was then bought by Embarcadero. You can find the new version here.

The new version, Builder 2010, can also make apps that have all the "niceties" for Win 7. In addition, 2010 is more compliant with C++ 0.x and Boost. VCL also has had some updates, too. And the compiler is faster, too. See this link for some of the new stuff.

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

But it's quite expensive (speaking as someone who is now retired and on a small pension)!

It's a pity they don't do a cheaper version (like MS do free 'Express' versions of Visual C# and C++).

Borland used to do a free/cheap 'Turbo C++' product (although I've never used it myself), but I don't think it's available for current OS versions (Vista or Win7).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back