Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What am I missing with my wireless setup??

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPlank

IS-IT--Management
May 30, 2003
GB
Hi all.

I'm trying to link the telewest cable broadband connection between my IBM desktop pc(win 98SE) and my Advent 7039 laptop (XP Home).

I've got a Belkin wireless dsl router, which is connected directly to the cable modem, and then the router is connected to the PC. I can access the net from the desktop pc.

I've then tried to set up the laptop, and although Belkin's software says it's been successful I can't connect wirelessly, even when a couple of feet from the router.

I'm a bit confused. When I ran the Network Setup wizard on the laptop it says that my wireless card is disconnected, but I can't find a way to connect it. The available networks dialog is coming up blank. I've checked Belkin's website without success. IE Help is no use either.

Yours confusedly,
David

[joinedupwriting]
"whaddaya mean, 'invalid tag'?!?"
[/joinedupwriting]

[lightsaber]

You need to go thru the documentation . The following things need to match in your setup between your router and the wireless nic. Check the SSID , channel number and also if you are using encryption you need to make sure that matches also, 64 or 128 bit WEP . Untill these things match you will not get a link . I don't have a Dlink so can't help you other than those suggestions .

Thanks for the reply!

I'm trying to set these up but I cannot find anything in any of my docs that tells me how the wireless card in my laptop is configured, or how to do it.

The closest I can find is anoption in Control Panels called PRISM (My card is a PRISM 802.11g wireless adapter)

I can find something in there about channels, but nothing about SSID or encryption.

All I have is the cd that came with the router that doesn't seem to be setting up my laptop. It runs ans asks me to reboot instantly. The manual says I'm now ready to go,but it doesn't.

Sorry about this, I'm more of a software guy than networking or hardware.

All advice greatly appreciated!

Cheers
David

[joinedupwriting]
[/joinedupwriting]

[lightsaber]

I also have a belkin wireless router with a desktop and a wireless notebook
If you want to set up the SSID and encryption you need to get to the set up screen --- the manual list the ip address as 192.168.2.1 - type that into your browser on the pc that is currently connected to the router. there is no initial password - just hit enter to log in - you'll see the set up choices on the left. Hope this is what you were asking! At least about the SSID and encryption part. Not sure what's happening with your wireless card.

This may be a dumb question but is the Belkin router also a "802.11G" model?

Also if the router is set to not broadcast the SSID it won't sho up in your "Available Networks" on the Wireless Tab in your Windows network config.
You'll have to just click add a preferred network, enter the SSID and WEP code and it should connect after a minute or so. You'll have to check your router and make sure you are using the SAME info.

1. Don't use the default SSID of the AP, choose a unique one. That avoids conflicts with the neighbors.
2. Start out with no WEP. It makes things simpler. Add it when you can get connected..

Ok, so far so good. I've found the network, but I can't get to anything on the Net. I'm getting error 403 access forbidden. Anyone know where I find the Access Control List?

I've looked through the help, the manual, and the online setup screens. I must be missing something.

Thanks
David

[joinedupwriting]
[/joinedupwriting]

[lightsaber]

ERror 403 access forbidden

Something,somewhere is blocking your access. Have you set up your wireless router to authenticate with your ISP. You'll need stuff like username/password etc.

To find the configuration for this go to the GUI for the Belkin router again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back