Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

what’s a good inexpensive 64bit computer to install/learn Server 2008?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougP

MIS
Dec 13, 1999
US
I want to set up a test computer to learn server 2008.
I have training videos and need something to play with?
Any ideas?

bottom line is cheap.

DougP

Define cheap.. most big-box electronics stores are selling machines with at least 4GB RAM/500-750GB HDs/decent CPUs in the $300 range and higher, which is more than adequate for running Win 2008. Instead of installing Windows 2008 over Windows 7, try to load up on RAM and install VMware workstation or server (the free version) which will allow you to setup multiple Windows 2008 VMs so you can test networking, AD, etc.

Instead of installing Windows 2008 over Windows 7, try to load up on RAM and install VMware workstation or server (the free version) which will allow you to setup multiple Windows 2008 VMs so you can test networking, AD, etc.

Better yet, install Windows 2008 and then the Hyper-V role, and use that for virtualization. Since it's built in/part of the operating system, you might as well learn that too, and it will provide significantly better performance than the free VMware server. vSphere might be a good option (and the single-server edition is also free), but it's a little more complicated than just using Hyper-V.

MCITP:Server Administrator
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator
MCITP:Virtualization Administrator 2008 R2
Certified Quest vWorkspace Administrator

I know it has been a while since this post, but if you haven't done anything yet.

On EBay you can find any number of refurbished server dealers selling Dell Poweredge 2850's for $100 that will run Server 08 like a top!

I have found one such retailer local to me that I pick up from and don't have to worry about shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back