Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Western Digital HD doesn't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckaspar

IS-IT--Management
Jun 5, 2003
US
I just bought a 200GB Western Digital WD2000JB Hard Drive and I am trying to install it in my case as a backup HD. The computer works fine without the 200 GB HD installed but if I put the drive in ,even as a single drive, the computer seems to keep shutting itself off then on until I flip the switch on the back of the power really to "kill" the power.

I have a 350W Power supply. I would think that this should be enough to at least run the HD by itself but I could be wrong. Please let me know

P.S. I also have two system fans that run off of the motherboard and one Thermaltake CPU fan as well.

Is the "primary" jumper set correctly? You need to set it for "master" or "master with slave". The new drive of course is set to "slave".

I know I am not a hardware junkie but I have never heard of a heard of a HD being pinned wrong causing the system to keep shutting off before it ever fully turns on.

If I hold the HD, I know that is not the best idea, I can feel it start to "kick on" then it stops. It continues to loop like this until I manually shut down the system.

If I set it as a slave drive then the system will boot and the bios will recognize the HD but I cannot see it in explorer or in DOS

Having the drive jumered as master should not cause a system to lose power, unless of course you are somehow jumpering the wrong set of pins and shorting a voltage.

When the drive is a slave, or a master for that matter if it didn't power off your system, it won't be recognized in DOS or Explorer until you partition it.

From ur 2nd post, you're already in the right track. Setting the drive as a slave and having the BIOS find it, but not windows suggests it needs partitioning.

Connect it as slave and let the machine boot into windows.

If it's windows XP, open the start menu then right click on my computer and then click manage. Then click disk management on the left and you should be able to see the new drive on the right.

From there, simply right click on it and choose to create a partition.

There are anly a few options from there and they're self explanitory.

Hope this helps.

Also as it's a western digital drive, if it is a single drive with no slave,you can not have it jumpered as master. You either take all jumpers off,or jumper it as cable select. With Bios seeing the drive at the end of the cable as the master and the middle is the slave. just some more info for the masses. :)

I shall use google before asking stupid questions!

ckasper:
Yes, having the jumpers wrong will prevent the computer from booting. The "boot sequence" sees two drives as the same, and will not boot. This applies to CD rom drives as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back