Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Western Digital Hard drive not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

zac199

Programmer
Feb 9, 2008
US
Ok so heres my issue.. I just bought a brand new western digital hard drive. Its a 320gb internal... When I format it, (ill say how I did that in a sec) it seems to work fine... but when I restart, my computer goes to the Gateway logo... (cause im using a gateway) and freezes... I press f10 for boot menu like 20 times but it wont move... But, if I unplug that hard drive, (the data cable not the power cord) and restart, it works perfectly normally...

When I formatted it this is what I did, just to see if I did something wrong...

-Right clicked my computer, went to manage
-When the screen was up I clicked disk management
-Then I found the new hard drive... It was called "new disk" or something...
-Right clicked it, format, named it Linux because im putting linux on it... Its a Basic Drive, with NTFS file system... (by the way thats the same as my C:, which is my working windows hard drive.) Then I made it a Primary partition...
-Waited for the thing to format... probably made some popcorn... and watched family guy...

Ok... So just as a little fix Im gonna see if trying a different file system works... <<< Scratch that, it wont use any other file system...

Help lol please...

Make sure that you have the jumpers set properly.

(PS If you're going to put linux on it anyway, don't even bother to format - the linux installer will do that for you using ext3, not ntfs)

Is it sata or ide drive? If its ide, what's it sharing the ide connector with (other hard drive or optical drive)?

Have you another machine you can connect it to - to check if same thing happens.

Have you run WD's diagnostic (lifeguard) against the drive?

If you are going to install Linux on it, as a test, remove or disconnect all other hard drives and make this one primary master. Then try to install Linux. After the Linux installer loads in ram, it will see the hard drive and since you formated it, it will ask if you want to use any free space, remove any Linux partitons, (which you should not have at this point) or use the whole disk. Select use the whole disk and you should be good to go.

Good Luck,

Old Tech Guy

It works fine, just formated it with linux :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back