Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Western Digital buys Hitachi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had great results with Western Digital drives. I hope this doesn't mean their demise. Wink, wink.

At the end of any discussion or news like this - one word.

BACKUP.

Thank you and good night.

Your are correct. All mechanical drives are subject to fail regardless of the brand name. I haven't had a Hitachi failure yet. (I know, I'm lucky), but I have replaced bad Western Digital and Seagate drives. I gasped a bit when i read this news item. ;)

So, back up your drives. I do.

Jim

Okay - I should have started a "hijack this thread to discuss brand names", but the BACKUP!!! advice is sure applicable REGARDLESS of brand.

Correction: should NOT have started

That's the positive way to look at it. Let's hope it's not the reverse. ;)

Jim

No comments here.

Reminds me of when I read heard that Maxtor bought Quantum. I remember the Quantum fireball being an excellent desktop drive manufacturer, then Maxtor bought 'em. I've never been quite the fan of Maxtor, though I did have one or two good drives by them early on.

On the WD/Hitachi deal, it may just be the luck of the draw, but I've seen far better performance and reliability out of the WD drives vs Hitachi that I've dealt with. Then again, b/c of my dealings with different folk's PCs, and performance reviews, etc, I've just never had a desire to look at Hitachis. Maybe Hitachi excels more at the enterprise class, such as the previous SCSI and current SAS drives?

Either way, let's hope it's for the best, not the worst. [thumbsup2]

kjv1611 - you're fanning the fire! I'm keeping quiet for once, though I concur. Oops.

hmmm... my experiences with the drive manufacturers so far...

Hitachi: No drive fail as of yet...

Seagate: drives failing left and right, lately two in the past week, one 3 months ago... Replacement drives are refurbs...

Wester Digital: Had one fail 3 and half months ago, before that not one, and since then either... Returned drive was a brand spanking new drive...

Samsung: see Hitachi above...

Maxtor (up until Seagate bought them): 3 or 4 failed out of the 10 that I had used...

IBM: not a single one, still got two DGAS 250mb drives laying around that work...

Quantum: one, was labeled with a HP sticker, perhaps that was the problem...

Toshiba: none, usually replaced them with bigger WD drives as soon as the Laptops came in...

Shugart: never used one... ;)

do you remember these monsters?
3489330486_f10bd20bb0.jpg

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Yikes - what a memory BadBigBen. Was that from memory or do you have a "little black book" with hard drive names and performance analysis.

For once I don't feel so obsessive-compulsive in terms of list making.

I knew this thread would gain momentum in an unintended direction.

Can't say I remember that one - the Morrow Designs' .."system". We really have come a long way! I mean, they actually referred to it as a "system"! Well, I suppose that a hard drive (or SSD) is technically a system, but we just don't refer to them as such.

By the way, BBB, do you happen to have a date/year on that ad/article? I didn't see one at first glance, and would be curious as to how old it is.

Thanks for posting that - funny and amazing to think about all at the same time.

KJV,

that was from around Jan. 1981, see:
Goom,

that was from memory, though I left out the drives I just axed due to old age... my memory is weird, in that I tend to remember titbits that should be best forgotten, e.g. Domino's Pizza phone number from when I attended college (AZ 1986) or my address the last time I lived in the US (Georgia 1993)... when it comes to numbers or techy-stuff I'll most likely remember it...

so: SYS 64738

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

so: SYS 64738"

???????????????? Should I have understood that?

Yeah, I remember stuff that puts a chill down my spine - things best forgotten. All my passwords have my college sweetheart's phone number in them.

I have a VIC 20 and it still works. ;)

Jim

I have an abacus and that still works.....actually I still have my fingers " " " lol.

On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar and sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back