Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

West-Wind - Hyphens in email addresses

Status
Not open for further replies.

GriffMG

Programmer
Mar 4, 2002
FR
Is this a common problem - does anyone have a work around?

Using WWIPStuff and the other useful tools from West-Wind, I can across a problem yesterday (initially I thought it was related to WIndows Defender).

If the recipient has a hyphen in their email address, the program sending the mail just hangs - when you issue the sendmail() command.

B-(

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

Hi Griff,

Our email domain has a hyphen. We use wwipstuff and all of our testing invovled sending to internal addresses. I don't think the hyphen is the problem.

pamela

Thanks Pam,

I'll investigate!

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

Hmmm, how strange - you're right!

There must be some dodgy character in the original address...

I'll see if I can retrieve the underlying table remotely (I cut-and-pasted the address to another field, so it should be intact).

How odd.

Thank you Pamela

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

Well, I just restored Wednesday's data to my local machine - which has the address as it was before (i.e. with the client's machine not working) and guess what - it works fine here!

So now what? How curious B-)

No odd characters that I can see in the e-mail address.

Martin

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

Ahh, but I have hung the workstation!

B-(

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

Hi Griff,

I would go through the offending email address as Mike suggests and get the ASC() value of each one to verify that it is what you think and that there are no suspicious ASCII values.

pamela

Hi Pam,

I've dropped the table that contains the email address into a hex editor and there are no odd characters (wierd).

The remote workstation is now hung so I can't do any more now before Monday.

Thanks for your help

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

Hi Griff,

It sounds as though something might be going out of scope on the remote workstation. I can't venture a guess as to what that might be.

pamela

The hanging is definately controllable by the inclusion/exclusion of a hyphen in the email address.

I'm at something of a loss from there though!

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

Not a bad idea, I have a feeling this is a machine specific/security issue, gotta be worth asking.

Ta for the idea.

Martin

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

> Using WWIPStuff... if the recipient has a hyphen in their
> email address, the program sending the mail just hangs -
> when you issue the sendmail() command.

I've seen the WWIPStuff::SendMail() hang if the cRecipient string (the list of e-mail addresses) is not correctly formed. If the e-mail is being sent to more than one addressee, the WWIPStuff spec says the cRecipient property is supposed to be a comma-delimited list, limited to 1024 characters. I forget the exact circumstance where I've seen it hang, but I think it was a missing comma between addresses, in other words a space instead of a comma. Perhaps other malformations in the recipient list could hang it, too.

As has already been pointed out here, a hyphen in the e-mail domain name is not a problem. My own e-mail address has a hyphen in the domain name and I send test e-mails to it from WWIPStuff all the time.

** Update **

I had a similar problem today, except the recipients name had no hyphen in it. Worked on it until I found that if I changed the SENDERS email address it stopped hanging.

The final solution was to change the senders NAME so that it was different to their eail address - and bingo!

So now I can have any sender email address, but the name is generated by the program, not a copy of the senders email address if you follow me!

Many thanks to everyone for their ideas.

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back