Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WEP breaks DHCP requests through AP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

58sniper

MIS
Apr 25, 2004
US
I have a brand new Netgear WAG302. If I leave it at open, with now WEP, I get connected without a problem, and I get an IP address from my server (not the AP), as I want.

If I enable OPEN authentication, and 64 or 128bit WEP, I get connected to the AP, but I don't get an IP address.

What am I missing?

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

Go into your wireless network card properties and somewhere in the advanced setting is a field that is checked that says something about authenticating with IEEE (something or other).

Uncheck that box, and then try it.

Doesn't look like IEEE is at play here.

Also, I can duplicate the problem on another laptop, so I'm inclined to think it's not a client side problem. (Although I'm not positive - both laptops work elsewhere without problems)

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

Whnat happens when you statically assign the IP, Mask and Gateway to your laptop and then encrypt?

Do you get the same results when you use WPA?

Gday,

you say you are using laptops? I have a problem with my laptop at home where I can associate with the AP but not get an IP.

This occurs only if I am on battery power. On mains it is no problem.

Strangely I can connect with the AP (a different brand) at the office on battery or mains.

The AP at home is an older one so perhaps there is some power management issue.

just my 2cents worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back