Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Welcome to Window screen options missing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

djbourne

Technical User
May 1, 2003
GB
I have a laptop with Windows XP SP3 on in a 2003 server AD domain.

The laptop boots to the welcome screen and I clcik Ctrl, Alt & Delete which brings the logon screen. The username part is there as is the password section but the log on to section is missing. I have tried domain logons and local machine logons but nothing works.

Does anyone have any ideas?

On a forum someone said about replacing the sam file under C:\windows\system32\config with one from C:\windows\repair but that didn't work. Safe mode and safe mode with networking brings up the same logon screen with the same problem. Last known good seems to cause a blue screen.

I am hopeing not to have to rebuild so any help would be very much appritiated.

Just a couple of random thoughts....could be a GP denying changing domain. Also, have you tried domain/username as the username?

When standing on the edge of a cliff, a step forward is not progress.

Thanks BMcAnly I hadn't thought of they domain/username. It didn't work though. There shouldn't be a group policy set as there are quite a lot of people in the same group and they have no issues. If it's set on the laptop I currently cant get into it to change it.

Any other ideas?

This is actually "Professional", not home, correct? I don't know if this is even possible (I suspect that you can't but I've never tried), could someone have done a 'repair' using an XP Home cd?

As you can't log on to Windows, you might not be able to logon to the Recovery Console either. If you can at least it will give you some access to the Recovery Commands such as ChkDsk /r and more.

How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP

An easy to follow recovery console description when unable to start computer due to corrupt registry.

That is a layman's version of KB307545 in simple language.

This talks about various options that might be available to you.

Cannot logon to winxp...losing lots of valuable documents
thread779-975236

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

This is the Server Forum which might be worth a visit too.

Linney, can I just pick your brains re the It's very detailed and informative but what I don't understand is this: Whenever I need to do a Repair (using the recovery console), I simply hit R, accept the partition to repair (eg. c/windows) and everything is executed automatically. Why then has the author detailed all those command prompts to be entered? Am I confusing matters?? Thanks.

The article that linney linked usees the Windows Recovery Console. This is different than an over-the-top re-installation, which is what you're describing. You could try that as well if you so choose, but it is something different.

^OK, thanks smah. I am pretty certain (?) that I do indeed press R when doing a repair of XP. So the precise option that I choose (when booting up with the XP disc) would be called what?? Just trying get to the terminology correct.

Just to confuse you there are two opportunities when you are invited to press "R". The first "R" is to launch the Recovery Console. If you skip that then a second "R" is requested a bit later on to confirm that you want Setup to Repair the current "selected" Windows partition.

To reinstall Windows XP by starting your computer from the Windows XP CD, follow these steps:
Insert the Windows XP CD into your computer's CD drive or DVD drive, and then restart your computer.
When you receive the "Press any key to boot from CD" message on the screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
The following message on the Welcome to Setup screen will appear:
This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer: To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation by using Recovery Console,***** press R *****. To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press ENTER to set up Windows XP.
On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.
Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then ***** press R ***** to repair Windows XP.

Thanks linney, it must be the second R option I choose then - to repair the existing partition of windows without all the command prompts.

I have removed the hard drive and done a check disk while attached to my pc. I also did a full virus check. I then installed windows over the top of windows but still no success. Any other ideas before the full rebuild?

Smah it is Pro and no one other than me should have attempted any repair. Not that that is imposible though :eek:)

I will see if anyone has any more suggestions then I might just have to re-install everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back