Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Welcome to Making an Impression

Status
Not open for further replies.

CajunCenturion

Programmer
Mar 4, 2002
US
Welcome to Making an Impression; we invite you to read All About Us (FAQ1256-5837).

If you wish to share a story behind your handle and/or where you live and how you got there, please feel free to tell your story in this thread, and we’ll add in.

You might also enjoy reviewing What does your Handle mean? (thread1256-969227) and Where are we all from? (thread1256-1042317).

We hope you enjoy being a part of our group.

Good Luck
--------------
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Hi all,

first one from the netherlands here I think... (did read all the posts but could have missed one)

Been on tek-tips since 2003 and this is the first time I saw this group.. bad me!!!....

Well as I said.. netherlands, The hague... working and living here since 1999.

well the nick... once.... about 3 years ago..... <insert a long sad story here> .... so.. in short... I took it because of a situation in my life and I kept it....

InDenial

As has been stated before; this forum is one of the truly award winning sites on the www. Helpful, unselfish...
I have been a member since Mar 2001. I live in Southern ORegon (Not to be confused with the northener's) 60 miles from the California border.
My xaf294 comes from the memorable times I spent overseas in the Air Force in the late 60's. EX Air Force. The 2, 9 and 4 were the first three digits of my AFSC. We were known as Two, nine, fours.
jim

Warning to all newcomers:

Watch for flying puns!

(Some of them are pretty low.)

Tracy Dryden

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard. [dragon]

xaf294,
I have a very good friend (in Oregon) whose property borders CA. You're only the second "southerner" I have come across.

~Thadeus

I've been asked about Tranman several times. There is a scene in the movie, "The Shawshank Redemption", where Andy tries to talk to Red about when he will be getting out of prison. Red responds that he's an, "Institution Man" now.

I was talking to a co-worker one day about my desire to get back into banking IT where I started out. He, knowing that I liked "The Shawshank Redemption", told me that I would never be able to leave here because I'm a "Transportation Man", now. Hence, Tranman.

I still hope, one day, to get back into banking/check processing. Maybe then I can change my handle to MICRman or RegEman or Check21man or something. [smile]

Tranman

stormbind -- London, UK -- I am notorious for changing my career, and my absolute objective is to become a diplomat with the Commonwealth of Nations. My unique handle comes from MtG, a strategy game that I played competitively at championship level.

----------
Memoria mihi benigna erit qui eam perscribam

So it's clear what my handle means it is short for Walks On Beach, as in I enjoy walks on beaches. Some have thought it meant walk son o b***h and while 2 years ago it could have that was not it's original or current meaning.

I reside in San Diego, CA, USA and love to walk on the beach when I can. I love the sunsets too!

*grabs beach blanket, marshmellows, graham crackers and chocolate bars*

Anyone for a smore?

Walks =)

ahh, san diego...drink it in...it always goes down smooth.

lol.

- g

LTeeple - Laura Teeple (not very imaginative... I know!)

Canadian web development coordinator, although I sometimes wonder if I'm not more suited to an active, social career, as opposed to being tied to a computer 40 hours/week.

I have started part-time studies to facilitate a career move.

This website has been an amazing resource for me since 2002. I particularly use the PHP and Javascript forums, although I regularly visit this forum for entertainment.

[cheers]
Cheers!
Laura

Since a few new members have joined the party, I wanted to given them a chance to introduce themselves.

Good Luck
--------------
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

tgreer: Thomas D. Greer. I've worked in the commercial printing industry for many years, as a programmer and executive. I become used to commenting all my code revisions under the "tgreer" moniker. It was also my email address at each new job, and eventually became the name of my own company and domain. While all my friends call me "Tom", and all my poetry is authored under "Thomas D. Greer", online I've always been "tgreer".

I've been involved in the online world since there was one, starting as a "SysOp" for some of CompuServe's literary fora.

Thomas D. Greer

Providing PostScript & PDF
Training, Development & Consulting

Paul4Meep here. I joined in August of 2005 (just a few days ago, as I type this). I'm a recent graduate from Penn State with a major of IST (Information Sciences and Technology). I call it a business major with a twist of IT. It focused mostly on project management.

My handle/net name/screen name/whatever else you want to call is is simple. My name is Paul. My girlfriend's nickname is Meep (everybody calls her that) and I am for (4) her. Stop rolling your eyes. LOL. Maybe it is corny, but I don't care. She's the best.

Welcome Paul4Meep. Nice to have you aboard.

Sorry I didn't respond sooner, but Katrina had other ideas. We are fine here in Lafayette, but we have about a dozen family members, who live in the greater New Orleans area, staying with us.

--------------
Good Luck

Thanks for the welcome. Also, not sure if you are reading the thread where I said it (in fact, I can't even remember which thread it was anyway), so I wanted to take the moment to thank you for bringing us this message board. Since I was a newbie, some folks told me that you are the moderator/owner, and that means you actually pay for this board to be up. That goes above and beyond in my view, so I want to thank you profusely for bringing us this board. It has brought me a lot of laughs (Love the shaggy dog stories, for example; I'm still reading through them) and a lot of interesting discussion.

Wow! A dozen people staying over? I hope they are family members you like. ;-) Can't imagine being forced to co-exist with smelly Uncle Cephus, hair Aunt Bertha, and annoyingly hyper cousin Clem for very long. Okay, I made up all those names. They are just examples.

Hey cool! Just noticed that I've been added to the FAQ thinger. Just a quick (extremely unimportant) correction. If you happen to be adding anything at some point, feel free to change this if you remember. Anyway, I'm not actually from Stage College, PA. Penn State's main campus is there, but I'm a recent graduate. I live in Abington, PA, a suburb of Philly. Sorry. I suppose I should have mentioned that, otherwise, what were you supposed to think?

Howdy.

I've been on Tek-Tips since August 2002 when I stumbled upon it from a Google search for some technical problem I was having. As I recall I found the exact solution to my problem and have been hooked ever since. I don't post many problems of my own, but I love to try to solve other people's problems. Some people solve crossword puzzles, I go to Tek-Tips.

SamBones comes from a manager I used to work for a very very long time ago. My name is Sam and I believe he was the prototype for "the copier guy" in the old Saturday Night Live skits. Every time he'd see me it was "Sambo", "Sam Bones", "Sammy", "Mr. Sam", "Samson", "Sammy Boy", and so forth. "Whataya know, Sambo?". If I was alone it might be "Sam Bonly Only". Always some mangled spur-of-the-moment concoction of a name. I didn't mind except for one awkward moment when he called me "SamBoner". It soon evolved into just "Bones", which was fine with me since I loved Star Trek. Being a budding Alpha Geek at the time, I got the reputation for being able to fix just about any computer problem, which in my mind fit the Star Trek "Bones" since Doctor McCoy could heal anything but death ("He's Dead, Jim!").

Anyway, I live, work, and play in sunny southern California (Irvine) for a sizeable cellular provider.

Good story SamBones. Welcome!

boyd.gif

SweetPotato Software Website
My Blog

Hi gang

Well, my story is short. Been a member for about a year. Came here from a link seen on another site.

My nic, well Zen37 is because i like the Zen philosophy and because i'm 37.

I have a small shack by the ocean on the Caymen islands, nothing fancy, couple of bed rooms, baths, kitchen, living room, home theater, hurricane bunker, outdoor pool, bar, bar-b-q, you know, just the essencials.

Then i wake up, get up from my condo in Laval, Qc, Canada and go to work in Montreal

<Sigh> to dream....

Hi, Zen37!

So, do you plan to change your handle every year or would you stop at the age you like the most? What if it is going to be taken one year? :)

Welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back