Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Welcome screen log-in cursor disappears 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

geilerts

Technical User
Oct 19, 2002
US
When changing users, the log-in cursor for a user disappears often. Re-booting solves the problem. Anybody have an idea of why this happens?

can you still change users and fields via the TAB key?

Do you mean that you don't see the cursor in the password box for the user? If so, then yes that happens to me once in a while and really irks me, though I never spent the time to find a cause or solution.

What I do is, keep the CTRL and ALT keys pressed, and press the DEL key twice. This reverts to the "username and password" login screen, I type the username and password and I'm in.

Yes, guitarzan, my cursor does not show up in my username box after my wife logs off. I haven't tried what you do. Smah, I don't know if I can. I'd like to find out what the problem is though.

Welcome Screen - Users can't type their passwords
thread779-1292591

Thanks to all. It just happened again.

As Linney and guitarzan suggested, I could Ctrl-Alt-Del two times and sign in. But on my machine it is associated with Application Event 1517 and 1524. See:

This is a failure of the User Profile Hive to unload. In the above diagnostic, it will show where to downloah UPHClean.msi which may resolve this. I'll see now.

I appreciate your help.

Gary

UPHclean is OK on XP and works well, make a mental note, however, that if you ever upgrade to Vista that you must uninstall UPHclean, otherwise problems occur as it is not compatible with Vista.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back