Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Welchir virus question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcsereed

MIS
Aug 11, 2001
US
Has anyone had the problem with the welchir virus reinfecting their machine after the patches have been put in place. I am aware of the new patch that Microsoft posted. We have technicians that are stating that the machines are being reinfedted after NAV is reinstalled after the patch is installed. All the machines have SP3 installed. They are Windows 2000 Pro. machines.

I have no experience with this one, went to look it up on symantec and found no reference...does it have another alias?

Members of Tek-Tips provide answers to questions based on the information given. For the best answers, post detailed descriptions of the issue. Use the search features of the site to see if your issue was previously addressed in a thread or FAQ.

Not that I am aware of either. One of my techs asked about it but I think he is nuts. Thank you for the response.

Welchia you mean?

There are new variants of this being released a lot lately. So many diffrent names.

If Norton(or any antivirus) is properly installed and configured and the patch has been applied the machines should not be getting reinfected with the same virus.

I have noticed users reporting being infected when they are NOT infected they just get a pop up message from Norton saying it caught the virus and quarantined it. They are confused and think they have the virus. They could be calling your techs and reporting infection when they are not. Never hurts to check again but they should be fine if properly patched and protected by Norton.

Julie

Also some of those pain in the ass advertisements are popping up saying your computer might be infected. I've had a couple of my users call me on this. They thought they were infected.

Well, better to be safe than sorry!

=============
Mens et Manus
=============

Thank you for the response. My area in NJ has not gotten re-infected. Our NY counterparts must be full of it. I just wanted t make sure that no one else had this problem. Thank again for the comments.

We had this problem while patching our WIN2K machines with SP4. We had patch downloaded on server, then running patch across network to machines that needed patch. We were running the Welchia worm removal tool from Symantec web site, then running patch. We would pick up the Welchia worm I guess while patch was running from network. We started running patch first, then the Welchia worm removal tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back