Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weird Win 2008 Logon Script Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

AwesomeDuke

Technical User
Sep 9, 2009
AU
Hi Everyone,

I have a really weird problem that I just can't get to the bottom of and I hope someone can point me in the right direction. I have been working on this for 2 weeks and have posted a similar question on many forums but no suggestions to date have helped. Hopefully someone here has had this experience...

We have a Win 2008 Terminal Server connected to an SBS 2003 Domain which houses/issues the logon script via a GPO.

A users logs onto the Terminal Server on a PC and the logon script executes and maps the drives for the user as expected. The user, while still logged onto the original session, moves to another PC and logs onto Terminal Services only this time the drives aren't mapped for some reason.

I have run gpresult and it claims that the script is being run in both sessions, yet clearly it isn't. It is not just limited to this particular user, any user who logs onto a second session does not receive the mapped drives – really weird.

I have tried mapping the drives via both batch file and vbscript all have the same result.

If I manually run the script within the user session it works and the drives are available and usable so it's not like Windows is limiting the user to one set of mapped drives per logon. I've even tried to change the Terminal Server licensing mode from "user" to "device" and this also made no difference.

What is is even stranger is the fact that if I run this on our old Win 2003 Terminal Server everything works as expected. It's like I've missed something in the Win 2008 setup....But what that is has got me baffled...

Has anyone had this issue, and if so how did you rectify it?

Thanks in advance...

Duke

Are they logging onto the same terminal server from the different PC's. I am assuming that these mapped drives are to a fileserver of some sort.
I have run across where if the user doesn't log off before logging back on again, the permissions on the mapped drive a messed up. Do you see any errors in the logs.

Windows Haiku:

Serious error.
All shortcuts have disappeared.
Screen. Mind. Both are blank.

GPResult may show that the script is being applied, but it can't say whether it is running. Try modifying the script to dump a text file somewhere every time it runs so you can see if it is actually executing the second time. My guess is that it is not.

MCTS:System Center Virtual Machine Manager
MCSE:Security 2003
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back