Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weird unknown Virus affecting Outlook email with login screens

Status
Not open for further replies.

ftoddt

Technical User
Apr 26, 2003
US
A client got a virus which they deleted after scan. However, whenever they try to check their mail by clicking the Outlook icon, they get a login screen. The login screen will not accept their login,domain,password entries.
I have deleted and reinstalled Outlook and get the same results. I can go to any other client computer and access mail when logging in as client. We are using Win2k LAN with Exchange Server 2000.
As I said, the client removed the virus. Said it was an agobot but not sure which one. I have researche Norton and tried scans and removal tools for that virus. Have also online scanned with Trend Micro.
Unless someone else has had this virus and knows how to fix it, I am probably up for a format and clean install.
Thanks for looking.
Todd

To be honest with you, I don't think this problem is virus related. What I would try doing is uninstalling the ethernet drivers, then re-install them, then rejoin the existing domain. Obviously your server is having a problem authenticating you. This may not work, but it's definately worth a shot.

I think zbtmage is right. Sounds like an authentication problem.

Can you ping the domain from the affected computer?

Could it be something as simple as their account being locked out? (Oops, sorry. You said you can access client email from another machine, eliminating that possibility.)

Could the tcp/ip stack have been corrupted?

"The Crystal Wind is the storm, and the storm is data, and the data is life. You have been slaves, denied the storm, denied the freedom of your data. That is now ended; the whirlwind is upon you . . . . . . Whether you like it or not."

Trent the Uncatchable in The Long Run by Daniel Keys Moran

Thanks guys,
I did not think it was an authentication problem in that logging onto the domain has not had any problems. The client and anyone else logs onto the domain easily. The problem seems only to be in accessing mail through outlook. It is an Outlook login screen that pops up when it never use to. Once you had logged into the domain and configured your outlook to your exchange server, when you double clicked the Outlook icon, your mail came up. Now it asks(logon screen to Outlook pops up)(and it didn't ask befor)for you to provide user name, domain, and password. Even putting in the correct username,domain and password in the Outlook logon screen, it says that is wrong and will not let you access your mail. Any other computer works fine.
Sorry if I was unclear about the login. Domain access and all other domain functions are fine.
Todd

No worries ftoddt, you were clear the first time. I am guessing however that your domain controller and your Exchange server on separate boxes. So why could one server authenticate you, and the other can not? I guess that's the question. Try pinging the exchange server from a dos prompt and see if you get reply. If the request times out, do a tracert and let me know what you come up with. See if the trace can make it all the way through. (Just because you are seeing the login box for the exchange server doesn't mean you are actually reaching it.. let's see how far we can actually get)

zbtmage,
I'll start the pinging etc process to see what kind of access I do get. Heck you have given me some ideas to try like a different ethernet card etc before I do the major format trial. There are a lot of programs on this particular computer that I would have to reinstall and it would sure save a lot of time if I don't have to do it.
Thanks for your help. I'll let you know how it turns out. I don't get back to that computer until Sat. I have a backup one next to it for email as a get around for now.
Todd

Problem solved. I could ping the exchange server but could see in the event viewer that I had a connectin problem with a MRxSmb error 3034. I went into network neighborhood and could see the mail server there but when I double clicked on it, it said it could not be found. I could see folders on the computer whose mail was working. So I did two things at the same time. I removed the computer from the domain and had it join a work group. while in the workgroup, I uninstalled the protocol tcp/ip, client for MS, until all were gone and then uninstalled the ethernet card. I rebooted and the nic reinstalled automatically, I put back all the protocols etc. Then rebooted again. The while logged into the workgroup, I joined the domain. Everything works fine now as it did before. Maybe this will help someone else.
Thanks to all. You got me to slow down and approach more systematically.
Todd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back