Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

weird scenes in word 2k

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoupXVII

Technical User
Dec 15, 2000
IT
I have a Word file that my mom somehow managed to mess up. She was writing an article that was over 12 pages long, took a break, and when she came back it was all gone... except 3 pages. That's all I know and - since she's not exactly an expert user - there are millions of things she could have done. The thing that boggles me is the size of the file: it's approximately 500k. Does anybody know what that could mean? Could the article still be buried somewhere in the file or is it just an error?

How many pages show up in the doc now?

Couple of things to try:

1. Ctrl+A and change the text color to black.
2. Save the file as plain text, close and reopen.

Check the hard drive for any *.tmp and ~*.* and *.asd files created the same day. Copy them and change their extension to doc and try opening them... Anne Troy

The font color suggestion is a good one. If that's not the problem, then the text may have been hidden.

To unhide text in Word:
Click Format, Font, uncheck Hidden

Another possibility is that a "version" was created.
Click on File, Versions
See if there is one in the list. If not, then it wasn't created. If so, then I'll bet that's the missing document.

To avoid this in the future, have her memorize Ctrl S. Whenever she pauses to think, or gets a fresh cup of coffee, hit Ctrl S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back