Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weird (rogue?) programs being picked up by ZoneAlarm

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarolynP

Technical User
Nov 8, 2002
US
Hi, folks,

My computer has been acting very weird. Ultimately downloading htastop.exe has brought welcome stability, but before that ZoneAlarm picked up new programs on every restart -- usually four alpha characters (the first three lower-case) followed by ".exe". Only one or two of the programs were googleable, nor have they turned up in the Start Menu's "search" function.

Examples:
cviB.exe
cwjB.exe
fga2685.exe
ggeC.exe
gkfF.exe

and so on. Maybe 25 of these things are there. I've blocked and locked all of them (which is probably why each restart generated a new one). It hasn't happened since installing HTAStop, but if I have a rogue in the system I don't know whether it will outsmart HTAstop at some point. (I've run Norton and it's up to date.) Any idea what's going on?

Thanks,
CarolynP

... and what is "mdal.exe"? A few times recently (since installing htastop?) I've seen an error message that mdal.exe "failed to initialize properly" and the application would be terminated. Probably another symptom of the preceding post's maladies.

One more detail: the programs all have the same ugly icon, kind of round and grey with a green spot in the lower right. This icon also appeared in the Taskbar (clicking on it would generate the invitation to install the software) and I would always click "cancel," of course.

Thanks,
CarolynP

If you have virus software make sure it is up to date and force it to run a full scan of your computer.

Hi, Franklin,

Thanks, I did that. As far as I know Norton is up to date -- and have done a few downloads manually rather than auto-update just in case. I even tried it in Safe Mode scan, and everything showed up clean. (Yeah, right.) Some of these things are quite nasty in how they embed themselves.

I went ahead and deleted the "programs" that did show up in the "search" window, so hopefully that will clear up some things too. But this is all really strange.

But you said "force" it to run a full scan -- have I missed something?

Best,
Carolyn

Best,
Carolyn Artist Publisher

You sound like you know what to do. Some anti virus do realtime scanning by default and you have to tell them to do a complete scan. That is what I ment by force.

It appears that you have caught the BugBear virus. It generates 4 letter .exe files (among others) and is very persistant. Please refer to the Symantec web page at
Download the removal tool listed in the above web page and you should be OK.

You did not mention which version of WIndows you were running. If running ME or XP you will have to disable the restore function. (How to link is also included in the page)

Let us know how things turn out.

Charles

Hi,

before everybuddy is getting afraid of that mdal.exe i can tell you that this is a file from Real Networks. It is the application handler for their software updates like real player or server ! So don't worry about !
hope to help all anxious people !

mike

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the lead on the mdal.exe problem (Realplayer) ,
but how about a lead or some info on how to eliminate the
cause ? Does this culprit make everything sluggish as I have
experienced lately ?

Thanks,

Mickie

Hi Mickey
To put an end to the mdal.exe problem: try to stop the program from auto-updating by eliminating the tick mark for auto-update by under Tools/Preferences/Category: Auto-update.
It seems to work fine with me.

Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back