Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weird Problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

thysonj

Programmer
Jul 6, 2001
US
I have a web application setup through VSS on a dev server.
I am able to check out files from my local machine adn edit them fine. I can check them in with no problem also. The problem is that the dev version(web site) doesn't get updated unless i actually go onto the dev server and open VSS and do a Get Latest.

I set up the shadow folder to be the web site directory but that doesn't seem to change anything. I have a feeling there is something setup incorreclty here but I cannot figure out what.

Essentially when someone checks in a new version I need it to update the db version and the web version. I thought a shadow folder would do this but for some reason it isn't.

ANy ideas on why this method isn't working or another way to do this?

Thysonj,

I have tested it but with me it works fine.
The file(s) in the shadow folder are only updated when the main file is checked in after a change.

A GET does not affect the files in the subfolder.

Does the user have read/write rights in the shadow folder?

Regards,

Madere.

we figured it out...the shadow folder was being implementexd incorrectly...

we were putting something like

Code:
d:/websites/commercial_zone/the_site/

instead of

Code:
10.0.0.8/the_site

seems weird to have to put in url but thats the way it worked.

thanks

Hi!

I seem to have the same problem.
My DEV machine is not restricted in any way.
I check-out and check-in this WebProject on my machine and the Shadow project does not get updated.

The Shadow folder is set to: C:\INETPUB\
SourceSafe Admin is installed locally on DEV machine, it is equipped with Windows2K and my machine is XP.

I tried to set it up to and to 127.0.0.1/NewWebSiteOfTheYear

It does not work because it says that either this folder does not exist or it is not a valid DOS name... (haven't seen this error in a while ;-) )

So, I'm wondering how you achieved to set it up to 10.0.0.8/the_site

Hoping I can get help on this... thanks in advance!
GLB :)

ps: English is not my primary language, sorry for lengthy message and for lack of clarity... don't hesistate to correct me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back