Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weird problem with powerware

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashleym

MIS
Mar 30, 2001
I am having a weird problem with two identical powerware 9125 units connected to two identical IBM X225 servers. When I physically connect the com port cable from the UPS to either of the servers 9 pin com ports, the CPU spikes to 100% and stays there until I unplug the cable. The servers are running windows 2K server. Has anyone every ecnountered this or have any suggestions? I have never seen this before myself.

AM

Hi Saw your message. I have the same problem did you fix it? We are using IBM X225 Powerware 5115 CPU activity is 50 to 60 %

The only way I was able to get around the problem was to use usb to com port adapters and plug th ups's in via usb, for some reason the com ports are weird.

AM

There are two workarounds to this problem:
1) from computer bios settings set the serial port to RS232 compatibility mode
2) cut serial cable male connector pin nr 9 away (bend back and forth with a tiny screwdriver etc until the pin breaks loose).

The pin 9 has a auxliary voltage from the UPS not being used in communication with the computer. The auxliary voltage causes unwanted behavior on some non-RS232 serial ports with extended functionality.

Ari

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back