Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weird problem when opening My Computer for first time

Status
Not open for further replies.

denodave

MIS
Apr 16, 2002
US
I have just installed a brand new HD and XPpro. Everything is fine but one strange behavior: the first time you open My Computer to explore the system it goes into what I think is an indexing mode. The "flashlight of uncertainty" shows up on the screen while it appears to be rebuilding the system configuration (or something??). I have no idea why or for what it is searching, but after about a minute it stops and the system behaves normally again. It only happens the first time each user dblclicks My Computer, and then it vanishes.

Anyone have ANY ideas as to why this has occurred?

Email me! dsaunders114@yahoo.com
Real men pray...especially techies!

Thanks, Linney. This machine is not at my disposal to check, but I will try let you know if it resolves.

On a more general note about XP, though, I have been experiencing more and more stupid hardware conflicts lately. They always seem to revolve around USB or ZIP devices being attached. For an O/S to supposedly be so "friendly" to external devices XP just seems to have major holes in the programming. For example, I just can't fathom how the M$ engineers could overlook such a major flaw as when a ZIP drive is attached during installation the O/S will name that device the C: dirve and the system drive will end up as E:

BIG TIME GOOFY if you ask me!!

Feel free to rip on M$ as much as you like...

Sure, I have thought of it. Why should we have to tear apart machines just to install XP?

I have had two installs end up in the hosed bin because of this "enumeration difficulty". Techs should really not have to be required to remove mounted hardware in order for the system to recognize accurately what is or is not an actual hard drive.

I have to disagree about the goofiness - why would a car be designed in such a way as to require the removal of the oil filter so that the black box could be replaced and not have it mess up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back