Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weird problem on a C2924M-XL with a WS-X2931-XL and WS-G5482 GBIC. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris6273

Technical User
Aug 11, 2010
GB
Hi guys,

I hope somebody can help me with this weird problem.

A couple of days ago, I purchased a WS-X2931-XL Module and a WS-G5482 GBIC to go with it. I installed them today, made sure the screws were tight and the GBIC was inserted properly. I plugged a computer into port 1 and the router into the GBIC/Module slot 1. Nothing happened. It seemed like the computer wasn't recieving any packets even when it was sending them. I tried to put the module and GBIC into slot 2 but still nothing happened. I then tried to swap them over and try all sorts of things with crossover adaptors. Still didn't work. BUT when I plugged my computer into port 24 it started to work but Port 24 can't communicate with any of the other ports except the module.

Any ideas guys? I haven't ever done a reset since I have had the switch. Do you think it needs one?

Cheers

The GBICs were hot-swappable on these, bot not necessarily the module.

What does the Installation Guide that comes with the module say?

The 2900XL install guide says this:

"These modules automatically configure themselves when you insert them in expansion
slots and tighten the thumb screws. A power-on self-test (POST) verifies that the module is
working properly before it starts forwarding packets.
Modules WS-X2914-XL and WS-X2922-XL support 2048 MAC addresses. If you install
one of these modules in a 2924M XL or Catalyst 2912MF XL switch (both of which
support 8192 MAC addresses) the module fails POST. You can start the module by
restarting the switch with the module installed. After the restart, the addressing capacity of
the switch is reduced to 2048 MAC addresses."

Hi Vince, thanks for your reply.

We brought the Module off of a website in the 'Refurbished' condition. We have tryed to restart the switch with the module and GBIC installed.

What else can you suggest we do?

Again, thanks for your time.

Sorry, I should have been more thoughrough.

We brought the Module in Refurbished condition so it didn't come with a manual and we brought the switch from an IT recycling company (They said it was working) so the switch didn't come with a manual.

Would a reset do anything to resolve this problem? Maybe an old VLAN configuration is left over from the previous owner?

Cheers

I managed to fix it on Monday. It appeared to be the old VLAN configuration from the previous owner. I also updated the firmware. Thanks for your help, Vince.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back