Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weird Problem: NDPS, Windows XP and a LJ 4 printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scribe6

MIS
Feb 12, 2004
US
I'm having a weird problem with a user of mine. Whenever they attempt to print to a LJ4 via NDPS, they always get kicked out of the application they are trying to print out of and nothing kicks out the printer. However, when I log into the machine, and I go to print from the same printer, I don't have any trouble. Also, the other users that print to the printer don't seem to be having any trouble either.

System Specs:
WinXP (Dell Optiplex 240) Fully Patched as of Yesterday (2/11/04)
Client: 4.9 SP1
Server: NW6

I'm thinking I might rename her profile in Windows XP and then recreate it, since the technician profile prints without any problems. If that doesn't work, I'm not sure what my next step is.

Does the user have rights to the group assigned to the NDPS printer? Are you using the latest HP drivers from that users' machine for that printer? Seems to me that Novell reported a problem with certain HP drivers for WinXP and Win2000 if your HP4 is in fact a 4si. Are you using HP of Novell to run the NDPS for that printer? Might try switching to the other if the one you are using is not working.

Driver Versions: I did change the driver to Windows XP's "included" driver versus what was pushed down from the RMS. That was my first concern as well. That didn't seem to change anything.

NDPS Rights: She has, at least, user rights to the printer. I think, since she's the primary user of the printer, the Network Admin gave her operator rights.

I tracked down the problem late Friday afternoon. When printing from MS Word/Excel you get a Application error fault with the MSCVRT.DLL (VB6 Runtime included in Windows). As much as I don't want to do it, I'm going to be reimaging the machine this morning. With it turning into a VB issue Friday, I tried installing SP1, as well as all the patches, and it didn't solve anything. I also tried reinstalling the VB runtimes, which also didn't work. At this point, I've tried too many things to go back through and strip them out.

Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate it.

Problem Solved: Mapped LJ4 as an IP printer. Seems to be working. My guesss is I ran into a driver issue with NDPS. At least the user is working now.

I had the exact problem as you on Windows XP workstation and a HP 4PLUS printer. My workaround was IP printing with the HP driver (the Microsoft built-in driver pushed a blank page with each print job).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back