Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weird problem... any thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyMyers

IS-IT--Management
Apr 28, 2004
US
I am looking into a problem with a small database that some one else created some time ago (there are many programming errors, but that is another issue altogether).

There are a couple of users of this database (it is in a network folder that is shared). One user has an issue and the others do not.

Under her login she can't get reports to run. In fact you can't even go into design view or VBA on reports but you can design, VBA, etc. on forms and all other parts of the application. Other users can use all portions of the system. Under the administrator login it all works correctly.

I tried removing and re-installing Office 2003 and re-installing all updates because I can not find any other reason for this. This did not help. Does anyone have any ideas?

I can not find anywhere in the system where she could have set permissions or anything else. I have never seen this before and have no idea where else to check for this user.

I assume the app was created with an older version of Access. (Hopefully not as old as Access 2.0.) I would suggest using the convert option to convert the front end of the application database to make an Access 2003 version. It's much better to have an Access version specific version of the application database rather than using the same application database with multiple Access versions (even though you don't change any of the code).

Your description sounds like the users can make changes to the application. I hope this isn't true, because that's asking for trouble unless your users are all exceptionally skilled and well behaved.

Bob S.

Doe's this user have a valid default printer ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Ok, I have isolated the problem. When the tech set her up he had the printers all being pushed (don't know if I have the term correct) from the server, but had their "default printer" with admin privilages. When switching to another default pritner it all worked fine...

I was confuszed since I did not know the tech set itt up in that manor. I assumed (dumb of me) that the printer drivers where installed on the local PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back