Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weird Problem After Setting Up Secondary Domain Controller...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jegray

MIS
May 13, 2003
US
Here is the scenario: I am currently have one Domain Controller configured and it has been running for awhile now with all the little bugs worked out. In the interest of redundancy, I am now setting up a secondary Domain Controller in case of hardware or software failure on the first DC. After setting up the second one, I turned off the first one to start the testing process. Here's the weird part: On all client PC's it is very slow on the logon process compared to when I have the first one running. Also, while logging into PC's in certain OU's, I get the "Can not locate a DC..." message, but not in all OU's. Any suggestions?

Josh.

jegray,

what os are the client pc's running ? if memory serves, the 1st DC in a domain holds the pdc emulator role. This is necessary for non- windows 2000 clients. And, is DNS running on this server...

just some thoughts

scottie

All clients are Windows XP Pro & 2000 Pro. DNS is setup on both servers (AD-Integrated). My 1st DC is setup as the DHCP Server. It gives out the IP of my NetWare 5.1 server, which is the main DNS to the Internet, and it gives it self out as a secondary. I do not have the 2nd DC listed...

Josh.

jegray,

do all the DNS servers have SRV records for all the DC'S ?

(are you saying then that the Netware box is the only active DNS server when the 1st DC is offline ?)

binkin

Yes, all have SRV records. Yes, the NetWare box is the only DNS server that is active when I turn off the 1st DC. Should I distribute the 2nd DC through my DHCP settings?

Josh.

jegray,

i am not clear with the idea of distributing the 2nd DC via DHCP. distribute what ?

The client's should know of both DNS servers in case one is off line.

are you native mode or mixed ?

scottie

I mean should I distribute the 2nd DC as a DNS server via the DHCP options? Currently here is my setup that is being distributed through the DHCP settings:

DNS Servers:

10.1.1.1 - NetWare
10.1.1.2 - 1st DC

Should I add 10.1.1.3 - 2nd DC through my DHCP options?

Sorry if I was unclear. :)

Josh.

jegray,

Before turning off the first DC, did you transfer the FSMO roles to the new DC?

Patty [ponytails2]

This is not a new DC, a second. No, I did not transfer the roles, why would I have to if the 2nd server is not going to be the primary? I am building this as a secondary in case my main DC ever crashes. I thought that this was possible with 2000... Is there something else that I should know about doing this? :)

Josh.

"After setting up the second one, I turned off the first one to start the testing process."

If all the FSMO roles reside on the first DC, (which is now turned off) there is no longer a DC within the domain performing these roles.

Patty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back