Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weird printer issue on print out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcburks

IS-IT--Management
Feb 7, 2006
US
A friend emailed me this question and I really didn't have an answer.

His email:
Hey, have you ever seen a print out like in the attachment? A tech I work with has this LaserJet 4250 with this issue. The line of dots isn't always on the right side, sometimes its all on the left. We've put a new toner and fuser in it. Same issue. Swapped the formatter boards. Blew the whole printer out. None of the rollers are dirty. Issue is from Tray 2 and the manual tray. The entire paper path is spotless.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Matt B

Does it look like bubbles? It will be the scanner, possibly the H/V, or the transfer roller is shot.

"Impatience will reward you with dissatisfaction" RMS Cosmics'97

It does kind of look like bubbles in a way. Frog eggs come to mind as well... lol

Did you look at the pic I linked to?

Thanks,
Matt B

This issue is caused by bad high voltage connection to the toner catridge. I have reproduced the same issue here on several of the latest HP LaserJets like the P3015 and P4015 printers. The issue can easily be reproduced by blocking one of the contacts on the toner with a piece of tape.

How do you go about fixing the issue? They have swapped out the toner cartridge, fuser and other consumables but the issue persists.

Thanks,
Matt B

You need to inspect the contact pins in the printer and verify the connection from these to the high voltage part of the PSU.
Start by removing the toner cartridge and check the inside the printer to the left.
There should be a small white plastic place plate with two round metal knobs.
This is the high voltage contact pins that connects to the cartridge.
Either this plate is defective, the connection to the plate is bad or you have a bad PSU.

I checked some more on the issue and found the springs in the left side next to the transfer roller seems to be able to affect the charge of the cartridge.
Check if any of these springs are missing or bend.
The metal "knobs" on the white plastic plate only seems to check for whether toner seal has been removed or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back