Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weird Powerbook Titanium problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcuenca

MIS
Mar 22, 2001
ES
Hi,

I've got a Powerbook Titanium with the following configuration: G4 667MHz, 768 MB, 30GB, Ati Radeon Mobility, DVD & CDRW, and OS 9.2.2 only (no OS X around ;) ).

Everything seems to work OK, but once in a while it "freezes", I mean, you can move the mouse cursor but anything else. After two or three seconds, all works fine again. The freezing doesn't depend on the application, it happens with each and everyone (even when only Finder is open), so I don't believe it may be a memory settings problem.

At first, I thought of Energy saving configuration, but, even if you set the computer to turn off the disk after one minute, it should not interfere when that minute hadn't passed yet.

I've tried Software Update, but it says everything is up to date.

I've checked the extensions, but I haven't found any suspicious one.

Maybe it has to do with the network connection, but I think I don't have any software that does periodical checks in such a way. I would like to test this possibility more, but I don't know good tools to "hack" the MAC internals...

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Appletalk does send signals all the time to the network, but have not seen it lock the computer out!

Have not seen this where there is no apps running, the only time resently is if Quark 5.0 is open and we know y that is.

There used to be a worm under OS 7 or 8 that used to do something like this, have you checked for Virus's? If you can't fix it in 20 minutes call someone who can.

Yes, I've checked for viruses and anything was found.

I hadn't been able to fix it in 20 minutes (that's why I made these posts). Maybe you know someone to contact?

Hi again,

Finally I installed MAC OS 10.1.5 and up to now it works fine. I guess the "freezing problem" had to do with some hardware conflict, solved with the latest drivers included with OS X.

It's not a solution, but it seems to work, so...

Thanks all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back