Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weird Outlook 2002 issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

pooritsmuck

IS-IT--Management
May 20, 2004
US
Here is a strange issue I have been trying to fix. A user can not open a fowarded attachment that is a word document. He has sent the attachment to me and him self, I could open the attchment without a problem, he on the other hand could not. I have office SP3 installed the OS is Windows 2000 with a roaming profile.
Another strange thing is the user can not right click on messages to bring up the menu you normally get when right clicking.
The third and finail issue is he can not open up any recurences in his calander. Can anyone help me out in this?

frank

Check his security settings in outlook.

I can only show you the door, your the one that has to open it !

Outlook is in many cases selfcorrupting. In the profile(local when in use, roaming when not in use(c:\winnt\profiles on local computer, %user$%\profile on roaming)) there are several files that Outlook uses to schetch the screen and to systemize which forms it used the past days. In %userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook there are many files that begins with the username, and sometimes many files with PRT in the beginning. Also there are one file, outcmd.dat that sometimes increases to many MBs if it is corrupted. Also in the %userprofile%\Local setting\Application Data\Microsoft\Forms there are one file called frmcache.dat that Outlook uses to view different forms and styles on mails, this file also uses to corrupt itself.

Each time I have a user that has problems with viewing or printing from Outlook, I delete all files from both Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook AND from Local settings\Application DAta\Microsoft\Forms. PS:Outlook MUST be closed down to delete those files(Task manager\prosesses\Outlook.exe must be killed if it exists).

After deleting named files, Outlook uses longer time to start up, but is now fresh and healthy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back