Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weird modem problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewRW

Technical User
Apr 23, 2003
AU
OK, this one has me stumped:

Running WinXP Pro, using an external Swann Ultra-SVD 56K, Rockwell chipset (flashed to the latest one possible) with latest driver).

Problem: Dial-up networking reports ISP is busy, or V90 connect fails, get speeds of around 21k or less - very variable. If I use a V34 init string get a more stable connection, and sometimes get 33.6 connections...

Had noise issues on the line, now fixed. Phone company technician came over and connected to their test system using a laptop, and the phone-to-modem cord I use with high speed and no errors/retrains - I connected to their test system with low speed and errors/retrains...

No com port conflicts..changed from com 1 to com 2, still happening.

No devices nearby that could cause interference, I don't think.

Weird thing is, I took my computer + modem to a friends house and it seemed to work fine. But could have been a one-off.

Any ideas?

Hi,

A few things to check:

Go to Start -> Settings -> Network and dialup connections. Right click on your connection and choose properties. Click Configure under the modem name (ensure that this is correct) and make sure there is a tick in the box "Enable hardware flow control."
Also check that the Maximum speed is set to 115200 which is what I would expect a V90 modem to be set to.

I have never come across an external modem which is software driven, which use a lot of CPU power. If the machine was a low spec, or was running something CPU intensive this would be another avenue to investigate, but there is always a first time for anything.
This is especially if the accompanying literature in the manual or on the box says "Windows only", doesn't mention using with PC operating systems other than Windows, or says it needs a proper driver rather than just an INF file.

It may also be your ISP - my modem connects fine to my ISP at 49Kbps but my dads modem is very variable to the same ISP using the same dialup number, at speeds ranging from 14.4Kbps to 42.6Kbps using the same phone line.
A couple of years ago he tried a special offer one free hour per day from another ISP and the modem connected at 45000bps routinely.
This is likely to be an issue if the latest firmware gives you v92 connectivity, but the ISP don't support it yet as there have been rumours of incompatibilities between v92 kit connecting to v90 systems leading to all sorts of weird problems.

John

I answered you in your duplicate post.

Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Thanks for your replies.
This weekend I attached another modem, using the same cords and ports, and it works fine. Might have been a driver problem or just something wrong with the modem itself.
Cheers,
Andrew

I have a Rockwell HCF 56K Data Fax PCI modem that dials but will never dial the last 10 digit number. I have setup Juno to dial all 10 numbers for connection but this does not work. All ideas are appreciated. I have attempted to set string ATZ and other string options. Problem also occurs with AOL dial out. Houston requires 10 dial up. (area code and phone number)

Are you certain that it is not dialing the last number, or is it possible that you are missing the initial '1'? If you are sure it is the last digit that is missing, how did you conclude this?

To mhkwood: thanks for responding. I have tested with Heperterminal and returns "ok". Operating system is Windows 98. I have not run across this before. number being dialed is required for the Houston area showing area code first like; 713 XXX XXXX. The final number is not dialed. The test I used was to place commas after each segment of numbers dialed. Like 713,XXX,XXXX. Speaker is on for modem.

You need to take a look at the properties of the dialup connection. Haven't touched 98 in quite some time, but we'll see how the memory is doing.

Click Start --> Settings --> Control Panel. Double click on Dial-up Connections. Right click on the connection to your ISP and select properties.

The phone number should be displayed, as well as a box marked 'Use Dialing Rules'. Unmark the box. The area code box should turn grey. Type the entire number, including the area code in the box for the phone number. Click OK and try your connection again.

I'm making somewhat of an assumption as to the cause of the problem, but I think it's a good place to start. Not really the most technically correct way to fix the problem, but it will not cause problems otherwise and is a lot easier to explain than the alternative.

If that doesn't fix the problem, post back and we'll go through some more detailed diagnostics with hyperterm.

Try going from Start>Programs>Accessories>Communications>
Phone Dialer. Click on Phone Dialer,Click on the tools menu, Then click on dialing properties. Fill in what country your in, type in your area code.Then click on the AREA CODE RULES button. Check the box that says 10 didgit
dialing. Click APPLY, then click O.K..
Now go into Controll Panel,Double click on Modems. If your modem is installed it will be on the list.Select your modem,
Then click Properties.Click the diagnostics Tab,Then click the "MORE INFO" button.(with you phone lines hooked to your modem ofcourse) Wait for a minute, if the screen on the bottom of the box fills-up with info you should be in business!! Try using the Phone Dialer Application on your computer(with the phone lines still hooked up)and call yours or someone elses cell phone. If it rings the cell phone you're in buisness. You're modem is dialing.
Oh yeah don't forget to load your modem Drivers.

Hey i recently got a Swann ST56 external modem and i connect at 53.2 when i used to connect at 49.2 but its still slower than my old internal one even playing online games i ping higher than my old one someone help me out please thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back