Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weird issue with unified messaging

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdifs

Technical User
Sep 16, 2002
US
I have the unified messaging working. Thanks to all who helped me with that.

Now, when someone leaves me a voicemail, the system sends me an email. BUT... my Treo will receive the email, but there is no email in my inbox on my Outlook. My Treo only downloads the email in my inbox and leaves it there as a "read copy" (non bolded). So, how is it getting to my Treo if it is not even in my inbox?

Also, is there a way to get the treo to play the wav file? I get an error on it when I try to play the attachment.

Rob

hmm.
Well, the treo logs in and gets messages from the exchange server. There is no service or anything running on the exchange server for the treo. It just logs in and gets messages.

Seems to be a random occurrence. I just did the following:
left a voicemail with outlook open and phone off
left a vm with outlook closed and phone on
left a vm with outlook closed and phone off
left a vm with outlook open and phone on

all messages were in outlook and on the phone (when I turned it back on and told it to get the email).

Yet 2 of us here have had an instance where the phone gets our email from messaging but the email is not in outlook (inbox) when we get back to the office.

Seems impossible since both outlook and the treo are exchange clients. the treo cannot get a message unless it exists in the inbox.

Looks like this one is going to take a while to troubleshoot.

Let me know if you hear of anything.

Thanks!

It has never deleted a message off of the server before. It just reads the messages in my inbox.

It is a possibility but it has been downloading my email without issue for the last 6 months or so.

I'll have to keep an eye on it.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks

Couple of questions: (I'm an IT guy more than a phone guy)

Obviously you're using Exchange...I'm assuming your Outlook is configured for the respective Exchange mailbox correctly. (no offense you just never know) Your Treo is POP'ing into your Exchange server and getting your mail? The only way the message would leave your Outlook entirely is if your Treo grabbed the mail and did not tell the server to leave a copy in the mailbox.

Another possibility is the infamous "mis-sort". We've had clients mis-sort their Email and "lose" some because they couldn't readily find it? Have you done a "find" in outlook for the Email that went missing just to see if it showed up?

Having some experience with Partner systems and expert experience with Exchange I would have to say this is a Treo / Exchange problem and without a doubt not the phone system.

Half of my technicians use Treo's and the other half Blackberry's. The Treo's are a complete pain in the rear. With have much greater success with forwarding Email to a PDA instead of POP'ing into the server...seems to work better and faster in most cases. You probably have a direct Email address from your carrrier for your Treo...setup a forward in Exchange straight to your Treo and see if it improves...instead of POP'ing in...hope this helps!

Well, we have been POPing in since we got the Treo's months ago. Not a sorting problem as we have searched all folders (in case some rule was involved) and nothing.

Now, the only thing I can think of is that it is some sort of random issue. It hasnt happened since, so I dont know if it is not happening any more OR if it is randomly deleting messages that we just dont notice.

The only change other than unified messaging is the upgrade to exchange 2003 from exchange 2000 about a month ago.

It is not really a big issue at this point since I cant listen to the WAV files on the Treo anyway.

As far as forwarding goes, unfortunately the other users here would not be able to negotiate the "forward" instead of "reply" to respond while mobile. Also, not quite as clean as I believe that there was an issue with a friend's blackberry where the client could see the mobile email address and they started responding to that instead of the exchange email.

Technology... gotta love it.

As crappy as the Treo is, we are all very pleased with what they do for us. Just little quirks that I am sure will be resolved (and new ones added).

Thanks for the reply.

Rob

Rob

Regarding the forward:

On the Blackberry Web Client you can tell the Blackberry system to use a specific 'reply to' address to avoid the replying to the blackberry email address. I should have clarified, you have to create the forward in Exchange and then make sure the Blackberry Web Client is setup as well and the whole thing is one big loop...transparent to the user and the person sending Emails.

Just for clarification! If this crap gets anymore complicated I'm going to work for Best Buy! haha

haha. Don't work there!!! You have too much knowledge to turn yourself into a useless robot.

Sorry, can't stand that place, yet people keep giving me gift cards there. I think they do it on purpose.

SUCCESS!!!

Ok, I found out what was deleting the messages. It was Unified Messaging.

While sitting at my desk and reviewing my voicemail while my inbox was on screen I noticed that as I deleted the messages they were disappearing from my inbox.

I tested the theory by leaving more messages, allowing Treo to POP in and get them, then deleting from VM. Same result.

Weird but true. Not sure if I like that "feature" but I can always set up a rule to keep a copy of it if necessary.

Anyway, thanks for all your help.

Rob

Hi Rob,
Yes, that is a feature of using exchange with unified messaging. It's in the documentation. If you delete from email, you kill in the vm and vise-versa.

-Chris

I guess I should have printed the user docs. I didnt see it on any of the install documentation.

Good to know.

Thanks.

Hi kdifs,
But you will remember this. Like I remember things that zing me.

-Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back