Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weird issue opening an Access generated report. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BTilson

Programmer
Jul 14, 2004
US
We have a database that we have been using for several years now that generates a simple report of what we are shipping that day for a certain customer. This is exported to an .rtf file and emailed to our customer as well as several of the managers here.

However, one of our managers hasn't been able to open the .rtf file for the past week or so. He gets this message:

Can't create file: Shipper.rtf. Right-click the folder you want to create the file in, and then click Properties on the shortcut menu to check your permissions for the folder.

I finally figured out that if I rename the file to ANYTHING besides "Shipper.rtf" that he can open it fine. So his problem is temporarily solved, but I still have no idea why this is happening.

Anyone have any input?

Thanks!

Brooks Tilson
Database Development
Tilson Machine, Inc.

Did you ever figure this out? - I am suddenly having the same problem.

Thanks.

Unfortunately, no. I just went and checked with the manager who was having this problem, and he still has it. It's odd because we can name the file to anything else, and he can open it fine.

Wish I could help, but I'm still stumped as well. We've just been doing the rename work around this whole time.

Brooks Tilson
Database Development
Tilson Machine, Inc.

Thanks - I am still working on it - if I find a solution I will let you know.

PLEASE do, that would be excellent. Thanks so much!

Brooks Tilson
Database Development
Tilson Machine, Inc.

When the user started having this problem what else changed? Network Access? upgraded to a new PC. It sounds like he receives the e-mail and attempts to open it from within the e-mail. This causes a temporary file to be created and he doesn't have the rights to create a file in the directory that e-mail is attempting to create that temporary file. When he renames the file he must save it in a location he has access to and then is able to open it.

Hey, that worked for me! Thanks SO much!

Brooks Tilson
Database Development
Tilson Machine, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back