Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weird Form Behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJman

Technical User
May 8, 2003
IN
We have a form which tracks information for certain tasks. Each day, different users record the information related to his or her own task in specific fields, and leave all other fields alone (there is no security in place to prevent it, they just don't). We're having an issue where each user will see his/her own information, but may not necessarily see everyone else's (i.e., some or all of the other fields appear null).

For example, "Bob" may have already entered his information for the day and closed out, but when "Jan" goes in later to enter hers, Jan sees Bob's fields as null, but when Bob brings up the form on his computer, the values he entered are there. Likewise, on "Steve's" computer, everyone's information is visible.

Also, when Bob and Jan are using the form at the same time, but editing different fields, Jan's information may be gone after Bob finishes (or maybe just invisible even to her. I wasn't able to check the table at the time).

Any thoughts on what may be causing this? Our database is still small at 100 megs. I know A2K should really not be used for more than around 20 megs or it can become unstable, but we haven't had a choice. This behavior is so unusual, I wonder if it's starting to "crack".

JJman

The answer to the second issue is easy...
If two users are editing the same record, the last one to update the record will over-write changes made by the first.

You should consider implementing a record locking strategy.

As per the first issue, it does sound confusing. I gather that since Bob and Ian edit and entreis the database is on a server - correct?

The database design may be a factor. Are records being orphaned? For example you have a task master table. And for the task master table, users enter their history into the history table. But the history records are getting lost -- you can not see them when looking at the task master form but you can see them when you look in the history table???

Actually, as far the first issue, my understanding is that one person's information would only overwrite another's if they were editing the same field, which they are not. I assumed they could all use the form at the same time without a problem so long as they stay out of each other's fields. Is this not correct?

As for the second issue, yes the db is on a network, but it is just a single table behind the form, so there is no orphan issue. The table is not related to any others. It really can't get any simpler, which is what baffles me.

Thanks.

JJman

When you update a field in a form, you still have to read and write the record back.

Example:

Tracking weather, John A records his perspective of the sky while Jane A records her perspective of the ground. Each writes their data to a different field.

Record for 2004/05/06
John A Retrieves the record that already has temperature and humidity.

He starts to enter his "sky report" - "cloudy, chance of rain is ..." and stops to go look at the sky again.

Jane A Retrieves the same record. Since John A has not updated the record, she only sees the temperature and humidity recordings, and does not see anything in the "sky report".

She enters her data for the "ground report" - "muddy and wet".

She then closes the form. The record has been written to the database. BUT it has not been written to the record John A still has open.

John A comes back and updates his open record... "... rain is 80%" and updates the record.

John A just over-wrote Jane A's updated record. The "sky report" is gone.

... Going back to your first problem. Information not visible by one but is visible to another.

I use a support database to track work done, inventory, etc. I hired a tech once who was instructed to enter his work into the database. He would enter his data into the database, but I could not see his data. He had thought he had linked to the database on the network with a short cut, but in fact had copied it to his desktop. Because of his error, we had two copies of the database -- one on the network, one on his desktop.

Just a thought...

Lo and behold... that's what happened. Sometimes it's the "make sure it's plugged in" kinds of issues that bring developers to their knees. :) I'll deal with that and also put some locking on the form.

Thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back