Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weird Display Settings problem in Windows ME

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albion

IS-IT--Management
Aug 8, 2000
US
Hey,

I'm having a weird display problem with Windows ME. I've searched through TechNET with no luck. Let me explain first what I have.

I am running a PIII Jbond Motherboard, ELSA Gladiac MX video card with the latest drivers, SoundBlaster AWE 64, 256meg of ram, Adaptec 2930 SCSI card.

Today I was playing with media player when all of a suddon my display went blank. When I rebooted it was set to 640x480x16. It also gave me an MMSYSTEM.DLL GPF (or similar) and the mouse didn't work. I wasn't able to cure the problem by rebooting so I figured I'd run a reinstall. The reinstall went fine but when I got back into windows I was still at 640x480x16. I tried to go to Display Settings but when I clicked on the Settings tab my screen went blank and my monitor went from green to amber (Meaning no signal from video card). I rebooted and got the latest drivers from ELSA. After I installed the new drivers I was about to get to the settings tab. I changed the display to 1024x768x16k. I checked the Advanced area and made sure the "Do not reboot" option was selected. When I clicked apply it asked me to reboot, so I did. When Windows ME rebooted it was still at 640x480x16. I tried disabling other drivers like SCSI, Sound, etc with no luck. I thought maybe it was my card but then I tought for a minute...

About two weeks ago I was working on a friends machine and it had a strangly similar problem. It was getting MMSYSTEM.DLL errors and when you changed the display it always asked to reboot (Even if the "Don't reboot" option was set) and it always came back to 640x480. I also did a reinstall on that machine and the problem stayed. So I did some more thinking and I realized that I had seen the same problem on an HP machine I was trying to fix. I talked to HP about the problem on that machine and they had me send the machine back to them.

I was able to get the display working on my friends machine with a full format and reinstall. The only problem is that after the full reinstall the MMSYSTEM.DLL errors started coming back and I am afraid that the display problem will come back.

It seems like to much of a coincidence that three machines had such similar problems. All going to 640x480x16, all different video cards, all reinstalled and the problem reoccured, all asked to reboot even if the "Don't reboot" option was set in Advanced display options, all had GPF type errors in MMSYSTEL.DLL.

The first thing I thought was a virus, but Trend nor McAfee had anything on their sites with these same effects to the system. So I checked technet for something and couldn't find anything at all on this problem. So here I am, if anyone else has seen this problem or something similar please let me know!

Thanks

Craig

open your system.ini file in notepad (or similar).
is the "drivers=mmsystem.dll" line is missing from the [boot] section of the file ?

kwunder

Sorry, forgot to include that. Yeah, it's there.

-cm

I had the problem myself, and it was down to a corrupt mmsystem.dll file. A friend also had the problem, which was solved more easily by downloading new drivers for his display adapter. You could try another copy of the mmsystem.dll file, incase it is a bad un'; or try the display adapter driver possibility.

Hope you sort it
kwunder

I reinstalled the system, you'd think the a new mmsystem.dll would have been installed. I'll try it anyway. As for the driver, I've tried 3 seperate driver versions for the card. No luck.

-cm

You're right. If you re-install, then it may not be the msystem.dll file. But it mat be worth a try
Here's a link to a mmsystem.dll fle for download

ftp://ftp.sausage.com/pub/misc/system/mmsystem.dll

Cheers

kwunder

Are you having any luck with this problem? I had a similar experience with a new system build. Finally, when I installed the correct monitor driver it took, and has been fairly stable since. I know it sounds to simplistic a fix
but it worked on my system. I assume that you have the Detonator 3 Drivers installed as well?
Good luck.

Leepen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back