Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weird delay when accessing mapped drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 13, 2002
US
We have two mapped drive on all of our end users workstation pointed to the same array partition on our file server. The drive mappings are pointed to X: and Y: on the desktops. This morning users started reporting delays in reaching files on the mapped drives. It turns out that the X: drive is fine but anyone trying to access the Y: drive experiences up to a 60 second delay before the window to the mapped files opens. We have run repeated tests to confirm that this is happening only with the Y: drive. The only difference between the two mappings is that the X: drive currently has 178 users accessing it and the Y: drive has around 190. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve this issue and reduce the delay to the drive? The system memory, bandwidth (GB), physical disk access, and processor are all reading well within normal limits.

Yes DNS was set up correctly. Problem resolved. After checking all the error logs and security settings and double checking indexing setup I checked out the user sessions on that share. It turns out I had two users who had over 50 sessions open each. I checked with each user and they were not using the share so some program on their system (most likely excel or some other commonly used app) was not allowing the sessions to be killed when they disconnected from the share. After I killed the sessions from the server side the problem was resolved instantly.

Whoops spoke too soon. Problem returned after a few moments. It appears that clearing out sessions helped but other users immediately stepped in with more sessions. Rebooting the system may resolve the problem but I won't be able to do that until this weekend. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Microsoft wierdness equals reboot to resolve yet again. Don't know what caused the system to cause that particular share to slow down access so much. It did have the most sessions open (around 200) but I have never seen that happen before. Ended up rebooting the system last night and everything appears to be fine now. If anybody else has an idea of what could have caused this one I would love to hear it. This one has me very curious.

Hi,
would you like to try this hot fix Q308337, ask MS helpdesk to get it.

Regards.

Mamaly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back