Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weird Cordless Mouse Behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcusick

Technical User
Aug 9, 2000
US
What's up everyone? I have a USB Logitech MouseMan Cordless Mouse(non-optical). I purchased the mouse a few months ago and everything was always fine. Recently there has been some erratic behavior. My mouse pointer would all of a sudden jump to the bottom of the screen. I can see it moving left to right on the bottom, but it seems to be stuck. Then it'll jump to the top, and stay stuck there. Every so often, it'll work normally, but not for long. I've changed the batteries and attemped to re-connect, by pressing the connect button on both mouse and receiver, many times. Anyone have any ideas? This is quite annoying, so any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks..

Doug

make sure you have a clear line of sight between receiver and mouse. also, move any magnets(speakers)away from receiver

Tried cleaning it? The mouse ball can pick up dust, fluff etc., and transfer it into the innards which could easily cause this problem.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

I had problems like that..I ended up removing and cleaning the mouseball and checking the batteries for proper voltage.

Bad batteries can cause some weird behaviour of the mouse, but you could have some kind of virus.. Do a full scan if you haven't already. Try another mouse if you have one and see if it acts weird too. Plus the cleaning as per G0AOZ.

If you're going through Hell...keep going... (Winston Churchill)
RocKeRFelLerZ

Thanks all... I'll give the suggestions a shot... I'll get back to you when/if I get a resolution...

Doug

If you are using a USB to PS/2 connector this can happen to. Why it does not do so immediately is a mystery, it generally takes a month or so. The only rememdy is to plug into a USB port.

It was weird.. I opened up the bottom cover, took the ball out, and blew really hard into the hole... It seems to be working now! I could've sworn I did that, but I guess not... Thanks for all the help! It's greatly appreciated..

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back