Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weighted Average Yield

Status
Not open for further replies.

chinnibay

Technical User
Feb 23, 2010
US
Hi Everyone ,

I have a quick question .... In our organisation , we are asked to add Weighted average yield to the existing report .. Can any one please let me know how to calculate that ?

Thanks,
Priya

Basically a weigthed average is calculated by the division of 2 seperated aggregates:

numinator: total(number * value)
denominator: total(number)

Unlike the arethmitic average there is no single function (like avg for arethmitic average) that performs the calculation. It is a 2-step exercise , first calculating the
2 aggregates and finally performing the division:

total(number * value) / total(number)

The query provider would fetch the individual aggregates and the final step is the division (which can be on the client or on the webserver depending on the tool)

Ties Blom

Be very careful doing this in BO. It tends to want to aggregate everything before multiplies. This can lead to very incorrect numbers.

Steve Krandel
Intuit

Thanks steve. But i did it ... Actually they were asking me to add wtdavgyield for account details report since this is a financial org.. And i did it with the formula

Wtavgyield = =Sum(Percentage([Securities Transaction Net Amt])*[Securities Transaction Daily Yield %])

And i got it and my manager is happy abt it

Thanks once again for everyone who loked into my problem and helpmed me out with that

Good Luck

Priya

Well.... I suppose that worked. I'd be hard-pressed to call it a weighted average. But, if you're happy.

Steve Krandel
Intuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back