Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Websphere MQ Newbie (Please help) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyLee100

Technical User
Jun 26, 2003
GB
Hi there,

I dont normally put 'Please Help' in my threads but I am in serious need of help on this one.

I am a complete 'Newbie' when it comes to Websphere. I have to write an interface application between a .net application and IBM Websphere. Can someone point me in the right direction please ?

I have downloaded MQ client and am using vb/c#.net as the interface application.

I dont have access to the MQ Server at the moment and am unlikely to for a while. Do I need this to develop my application or can I download a trial version to develop against ?

I would be extremely grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.

Many thanks in anticipation someone will take pity on me !

You really have no choice but to download a trial version if you don't have access to a server. If you had access you could use the MQ Client.

You could download the MQ Client and this would enable you to develop the code but you would not be able to successfully do any MQ calls so it wouldn't be much use.

Once you have access to a server (either the trial MQ server installed on your machine or client access to an already existing MQ server) there are a couple of manuals that are truly recommended to be cracked and read. Application Programming Guide (SC34-6062) is a must. Then there is Using .Net (GC34-6328).

I would also recommend bookmarking the following

Good luck

Kevin,

Many thanks for the reply. I have now downloaded the trial server software and using the sample code have managed to put and get test queues.

I hope you can help on another question:

I am assuming I have to manually check for queues or is there a way for MQ to automatically notify me of a new queue. At the moment I am checking very 10 ms.

Thanks again for getting back to me

Andy

Why do you need to check for queues? You shouldn't need to do anything like that.

If you try and issue an open for a non-existing queue you will get the return code of 2085 so you will know it isn't there.

What exactly is the requirement?

We are receiving xml data from SAP via Websphere.

I said it a bit wrong in my previous post. I am not checking for queues but checking for messages in the queues that have been setup.

Obviously if there is a message I am using 'Get' to retrieve the data.

Use triggering to kick the program off.

I think triggering is described in chapter 14 of the Application Programmers Guide.

I will look into it.

Does the Trigger Monitor application still have to poll for the Trigger Message or can I get it to raise an event in the application ?

Thanks for all your help so far. Have a star !

Andy

The trigger monitor will sit and watch the initiation queue.

When a message lands of your triggered queue and prividing all the trigger conditions are met, then MQ will generate a trigger message internally and drop it on the initiation queue. The trigger monitor will read that message and take whatever action it is that you have told it to take. If the trigger monitor isn't running, then no trigger message gets generated so you will need to leave the trigger monitor running for as long as the application needs it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back