Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Website Shortcut Not Working on Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damidgaf

Technical User
Aug 28, 2008
Recently installed I.E. 7 on my PC (XP Pro SP2). Since its installation there is one particular Website shortcut on my desktop that when double-clicked on opens up I.E. 7 browser but nothing happens. The website URL address does not appear in the address bar.
If I "drag" the shortcut into the body of the I.E. 7 browser window it will go to the website no problem.
Any Ideas?

Regards
Damidgaf

After you've loaded the website, drag from the IE address bar and drop on the desktop to create a new link. Does the new link work?

drjohnbullas - Thanks for your advice and have done as you suggested installed Firefox, now works fine thanks!. Would really like to know what went wrong though!!!

smah - Dragging the link from the address bar, once the website has opened, onto the desktop does not make any difference, it still will not open. If I Lets say "Google" the website, the website opens

What response do you get from this command at a Command Prompt?
ftype InternetShortcut

A couple of machines I checked result in this reply.
InternetShortcut=rundll32.exe ieframe.dll,OpenURL %l

Try IE7 with No Add-ons, or try resetting it back to Defaults.
How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES)

Talking of defaults, see what setting you have set for IE as the Default Browser too. On IE/ Tools/ Internet Options/ Programs, there are options to check to make IE the Default Browser.

You can look at these as a guide to troubleshooting, they are getting a bit old and may refer to IE6, so just use them as a guide.

After SP2, web shortcut doesn't start IE
thread779-930095

IE Shortcuts not working properly
thread779-673653

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back