Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Website Search Script

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mighty

Programmer
Feb 22, 2001
US
Haven't used Perl in a long time but I need to get my hands on a simple but effective website search script. I need to be able to check the content of html pages in a number of directories to make a search string.

Can anyone recommend a good free script for what I am looking for. I have found a few different ones on the web but am not sure which ones are best.

Thanks in advance.

Mighty

perlfect from has worked really well for me in the past.

it is a batch process, which means that you'll get accurate results as of the last index run, but it isn't totally real time.

You could phreak the index thang if you apply new additions at time of entry

IMHO
well worth a look

--Paul

Nancy Griffith - songstress extraordinaire,
and composer of the snipers anthem "From a distance ...

Use a system call to use grep! (Live Time!)

:) Works wonders if your on a Linux/Unix system!

Hope this helps!

grep is a useful tool, but consider a webserver with a 3 GB footprint, it's not going to be real useful in that situation, unless you give them a rider to make a pot of tea, by first flying to [india|cyprus|anywhere else that grows tea] to pick the leaves, apply for planning permission to build a factory to make tea bags, wait for that to come through, and then contract a busy builder who'll have it up in 3 months, if he can start in two weeks time, wait for a gap in the PG chimps filming schedule ... see a pattern here.

v.v. ksearch, it's actually built on perlfect search

HTH
--Paul

Nancy Griffith - songstress extraordinaire,
and composer of the snipers anthem "From a distance ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back